L61R Sight Question

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Two Barrels, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Two Barrels

Two Barrels Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    I have located an early L61R with a 4 digit serial number. It is a standard sporter model, not deluxe. The barrel is 24.4” and Bofors marked. The rifle appears to be original, but there is no front sight. Were any early L61R rifles built without a front sight? Caliber is a 300 H & H, correctly marked “300 Magnum”.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    First of all, if you've found an L61R in .300 H&H you've found a really scarce and highly desirable rifle.

The only early L61R rifles built without a front sight were the Deluxe models (and even some of those had front sights).

If the barrel is original then it would normally have a front sight silver soldered in place. Sometimes these were removed, but it is very difficult to re-blue the bare spot it leaves to match the factory bluing. If you can't see some sign of different bluing then the entire barrel was likely re-blued.

3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Personally, in early rifles like yours, I have encountered more with front sights than without. But I have seen many in that serial number range without sights. You found a very rare and desirable caliber, and without a front sight it is even more desirable to me. Post some pictures please.

4. Two Barrels

Two Barrels Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Carolina
    I appreciate the responses. I presently do not own this rifle and it is literally on the other side of the country from me. It is for sale, but I want to make sure I know what to look for and ask about during negotiations. From the pictures I have seen, the barrel does not appear to have been reblued. The lettering on the stampings appears sharp and the barrel and action finishes match. The recoil pad looks correct. It is the “V” style and aging. No white spacer on the recoil pad. There is a white spacer on the PG cap. I’ll ask the seller for some pictures of the muzzle.