L61R rear sight removal

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Miklos Biro, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Miklos Biro

Miklos Biro Member

Country Flag:
    Hungary
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi All,

I have difficulty figuring out how to remove this type of sight. Does the elevation plate has a pin that you need to hit out? I can see a grove behind the pins so most probably it rather needs to slide out that way.
    I hope someone has experience with this type.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Miklos your sight is more than likely soldered onto the barrel. To verify this you can drive the pin at the front of the base holding the elevation mechanisn from the left side toward the right side using a punch. If the base is held on by screws you will see them once the elevation mechanism is removed. There is a small coil spring under the front end of the elevation mechanism be careful not to loose it.
    good luck

3. Miklos Biro

Miklos Biro Member

Country Flag:
    Hungary
    State/Region:
    other
    The screws can be seen already. I really hope it's only hitting the pin out the driving these screws out. Still makes me wonder what the groves are for then.

Attached Files:

4. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    The grooves in the side of the elevation mechanism are for secure elevation adjustment. The elevation slide has a detent ball imbedded in it and locked into the grooves for elevation adjustment, as you slide it forward or rearward. So drive out the pin and remove the 2 screws securing the sight base to the barrel.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Removed one just like that off of my Model 72 308 years ago. Scope I wanted to use wouldn't fit without removal. Sad thing is that I can't find the sight for a lot of years and I know I didn't toss it....LOL

6. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Interesting, I’ve never seen these sights screwed on, only soldered.

marlin92 likes this.
  7. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I agree with DeerSako - first screwed on set I have seen

8. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That particular base looks like nothing I’ve seen also.

9. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I haven't seen that particular style of base, but on the soldered ones you just press the sight graduation bit down and pull back to remove. I hope my picture clarifies how it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  10. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    That's how mine remove. Mine has both the rear sight as pictured and the peep. Interestingly, if remove the mid barrel rear as pictured, the rear peep works wonderfully. You can see quite well with all three, however, what is the point except to add something the rear peep redundant? really I don't need to remove it to fit a scope. We will see how it goes in the coming weeks. Like to fit something fine to her lime Swarofsky or Schmidt & Bender. For me, irons must stay on I love shooting irons and also value a sight for certain hunts. Mine soldered on.