Sako L61R questions

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Viking264, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Viking264

Viking264 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum, however have searched it many a time in the past for info pertaining to various Sako actions. I wonder if you might indulge me with some of your insight.

I am hankering to build one, possibly two (well, possibly three), rifles for hunting and target shooting on Sako actions, specifically looking at the L61R series due to their general availability. The basis for these would be old hunting rifles with actions and bolts in good shape, with the factory trigger and original bottom metal. The cartridges would be 6.5x55mm and .284 Win., which I currently shoot in other platforms. The barrels on the hunting rifles would be removed and kept as back-up.

The questions that I have are as follows:
    • Is there a meaningful difference in design between the actions stamped 'L61R' and the later A5 designation? Are the bolt designs the same?
    • Since my intention is to remove the barrel from the action, does it matter if a barrel is stamped BOFORS? What I mean is, do rifles with the barrel so stamped feature an action that was made of a different alloy than the ones that are not stamped BOFORS? Does it matter at all, given my intention to re-barrel these actions?
    • If you were undertaking such a project, would you tend towards one of the L61R action iterations, specifically, or are they all generally the same for all intents and purposes? Would you go a different route, completely, with a different Sako action? Note that I have owned an M85 in the past and was thoroughly unimpressed, so would tend away from that one.
    Many thanks for your time and consideration.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The L61R, the AIII, & the AV are all the same action. The only difference is AIII has a bolt shroud on the rear of the bolt & the AV has the bolt shroud & a longer rear tang. The longer rear tang on the AV means a slight difference in the stock inletting in that area. I would not use a "Bofors" stamped barreled action for a custom rifle as the "Bofors" stamp has a cult following & brings a premium over a non -Bofors gun. There is no metallurgical difference in these actions. There are plenty of other well used or imperfect long action Sakos out there to use as donors. The 6.5 Swede does require the long action, but the .284 Win will fit the medium L579 or AII action & would be a better fit in that action length. I would use any L61R, AIII, AV, L579 or AII I could buy the cheapest. The Sako #4 trigger is used in all those actions, with the exception that some of the very late AV's (1990 or later) will have the "Tikka" trigger. The #4 trigger can be safely adjusted down to about 2.5#(sometimes a little lower depending on trigger, say maybe 2#). If you require a lower pull weight it would be advisable to get an aftermarket trigger. Keep in mind the long action came with both a .473" standard bolt face & a magnum bolt face. Any L579 or AII bolt face will fit the .284 Win. Also, the L579 & AII came in the Varmint configuration with the beavertail forearm & heavy barrel channel stock. Good Luck with your build.

3. Viking264

Viking264 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Thank you for your informative response to my questions; much appreciated. I'll avoid the Bofors-marked rifles as you suggest.

I load the .284 Win as a long action cartridge (in the range of 3.200"), so would go with the long action for that build.

The third cartridge would be something in the 6mm family in a short action cartridge, such as a .243 Win or similar, so I will look at the L579 / AII when I get to that stage.

Again, thank you!

4. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Bofors marked L61r rifles also usually co-inside with a L61r action that has an extra locking lug on the bolt at the rear of the bolt near the bolt handle. Some call it a safety lug. It was removed to speed the manufacturing process.
    Search “sako L61r 3 lug bolt” for more info.

5. Viking264

Viking264 Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Thank you; good to know.

6. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Viking,

Welcome to the SCC Forum from northern New Hampshire. I used to live mid-coast on Penobscot Bay...almost Downeast! For those unfamiliar with Maine, on the coast up is down and down is up! The lineage of “Downeast” is from the old days of the great sailing ships and still runs deep in ME. It’s a GREAT place to live if your passion is the sea and boats! (And Sakos!)

Hope you have good shooting, good hunting, and fair winds this fall, Viking.