L61R Finnbear I'm interested in...

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Vern54, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Vern54

Vern54 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    A friend has a Sako Finnbear in 264 Magum he wants to sell. I think it looks great, but he is asking $1500 for it. The serial number is 42407. From what I could find on the internet, the L61R serial numbers went up to almost 91000 between 1961 and 1973. So I would guess about 1967? I don't know anything about the finer points of Sako's so I am posting a picture or two for some advice.
    http://[​IMG]

I appreciate and thank everyone for their input ahead of time.

2. scottbitterman

scottbitterman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Since you took pictures of all the stampings I will assume it is not stamped bofors steel.If its not bofors steel stamped its more then likely a 1969 vintage. what import stamp is on the gun? aslo from the looks of the pictures it has mounts that are drilled into the dovetails which will take away some from the value.264 mags ar uncommon to say the least and do command a higher price then standar calibers. over all the gun looks like a very nice piece but imo 1500 is a tad on the high side.
    scott

3. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I think one of our sponsors at the top of the page is selling one for $1100 in about the same condition as the one you are looking at.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As this rifle has been degraded in value from a collector standpoint, it's value is based on it's utility. Values vary from rifle to rifle based on condition, configuration, region, how bad the seller wants to sell it, how bad the buyer wants to buy it & a host of other factors. $1500 could get you a Deluxe model in nice condition. I agree with the other posters that this rifle is worth much closer to $1000 than to $1500. A 264 Win L61R in "collector" condition will bring a premium because of the rarity of that chambering, but in a "shooter" condition would not be worth much more than any other "shooter" Sako, IMHO, as the cartridge isn't & never was all that popular a hunting round with the general public.

5. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I agree with the boys but the receiver will only have 3 tinny holes and if that's all the variations include you might find that a lot of collectors are too bothered/ I guess it comes down to how rare a rifle is compared to its variations. Yours to me seem to be reasonable variation. I recently purchased a 218 bee with a drill and tapped receiver, I must admit I would have preferred it not having the hole, but its just an extremely rare gun and I am not very bothered by it. Admittedly it was a bargaining tool and the seller was very understanding. Good luck with the 264 I have 4 of them in various configurations and I have a fondness for them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. terenceh

terenceh Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    I think you'll find those bases aren't actually drilled into the Sako dovetails, but are detachable Weaver dovetail bases that are gently tapped on and secured with a single countersunk screw. I've had them on my Vixen and Forester Sporters for over 30 years, principally to give me a little more eye relief with the particular 'scopes used. As might be expected, however, the screws do make a tiny mark on the top of each dovetail.

Terenceh

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The dovetails won't be drilled since the Weavers don't require it. I don't see any big problems with the gun, other than a missing (and easily replaceable) front sight shroud and a couple of nicks or dings on the wood. It is a late pre-Garcia, which is not quite as desirable with most buyers as an early pre-Garcia, but that gun in that caliber will bring well north of $1,000 on an auction site (if started with no reserve). $1,500 would be a bit optimistic, so I suspect that its final price would be somewhere between those figures.

By the way, the Weaver bases are functional, but so is a 2x4. If you buy it remove them and replace the mounts with something nicer.

8. Vern54

Vern54 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Thanks Guys! I will check the import stamp. I believe that is under the barrel at the front of the fore stock? I will look at the scope mounts too. One of the things that interested me in this is that my brother just had a custom 6.5/284 built so I have some shared access/buying power for bullets.

Vern