L61R Disassembly/Reassembly Instructions

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by steve_, Oct 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. steve_

steve_ Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I have a L61R 30.06 that my dad left to me. The gun is in really nice shape, except that the finish on the stock appears to have been damaged by cleaning solvent. In any event, it appears that a special tool is needed to disassemble the gun, and I would need to know the torque settings etc when reassembling it. Is there a video out there on how to do this, or could someone provide advice on the matter? Thank you.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What did you want to disassemble? Taking the barreled action out of the stock only requires a proper-fitting screw driver.

Disassembling any further is usually unnecessary unless there is some problem internal to the bolt. Even then, no special tools are required.

When placing the barreled action back in the stock I always snug both action screws evenly, then tighten the front screw as tight as can reasonably be done by hand using an ordinary screw driver handle; the rear screw should just remain snug, not torqued down hard. I don't know what this equates to in inch-pounds, kilopascals, or parsecs, but in practical terms it will do what is needed.

Be sure that the magazine box is properly seated against the feed rails and is not in a bind. Clamping down on an unseated magazine box will bend the bottom metal. Also, if you find horseshoe-shaped spacers underneath either/both front and rear parts of the bottom metal be sure to replace those as you found them. If present, they keep the bottom metal aligned flush with the wood of the stock.

3. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Steve,

If by "special tool"......you are refering to the cross-bolt through the side of the stock..........do NOT touch it with any "tool". It is fixed, and not involved with any part of the barrelled action removal.

Other than that.....what Stone said......especially the part about using a PROPER-FITTING screwdriver.

Hope this helps.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    If you are referring to the recoil lug crossbolt who's ends are exposed on the sides of the stock, a spanner wrench of the proper size & configuration is required. If you don't have or can not obtain one & are unfamiliar with it's use you should seek the help of a competent gunsmith. Like others said, the stock & barreled action can be separated without removing this crossbolt. With some care & diligence one can refinish the stock without removing the crossbolt, but to eliminate possible cosmetic damage to it's blued surface it is best to remove it. As with all gun work, use hollow ground type screwdrivers that fit the action screw slot properly or damage to the screw heads is guaranteed.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 1:36 PM
  5. Rolf Luukkonen

Rolf Luukkonen Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Just bought a wood stock for my Sako AV in 6.5X55. The stock has those cross bolts as well, probably made for a bigger caliber than the "Old Swede" that I've shot many times in the past.
    Not too worried about stock splitting with this caliber. I have been trying to find a spanner wrench as well and checked with Brownells and Numrich, but no luck. Seems they have them for German Mausers, but not the Sako...
    The stock seems it will fit well, other than a little too snug towards the rear and I dont want to force it. Seems a quarter turn of the cross bolt might open up enough to drop it right in...
    Maybe I have to bite the bullet and take to a gunsmith...
    Any suggestions?

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Exactly!