L61R AV Finnbear Mark

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by HBHUNTER, Apr 22, 2019.

1. HBHUNTER

HBHUNTER Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Fellow Sako Owners, I have a question regarding a L61R stamp on my AV barrel that appears to be "GO" before the serial number the caliber is a .280 with a 24" barrel. I purchased the rifle about 1991. Its my reliable rifle that I wanted to follow in my fathers footsteps and it has been nothing but beyond what I expected.

Any information on the barrel stamp would be helpful and much appreciated. HBHUNTER.

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    HBHUNTER,

I have two GO rifles. One I picked up less than a month ago. The other has been in our family since 89. There are/were 500 in .280 Remington. My best guess is GO Wholesale apparently ordered these from Sako, then it appears they were distributed throughout the North West.

My first was bought in a chain sporting goods store in Eugene Oregon, in 89. My second was bought in a firearms store in Junction City Oregon, as I stated about a month ago. It was from an estate. See the below photos.

My old one was given to my dad when new and he hunted with it until he passed. I now have it back in my safe next to my new one.

Attached Files:

icebear and Norway.375 like this.
  3. HBHUNTER

HBHUNTER Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Sean, thanks for the photos, nice looking rifle. I purchased mine out of Ronan MT. so the Northwest U.S. makes sense. I have a couple of scratches on mine and a little bluing wear from a hunt or so through the years but it will be and has been a performer. I just purchased a Finnbear AV in .270 Win as a project and backup rifle. Pretty similar rifle.

I've finished a couple of Garand stocks one with tongue oil and another with another oil finish. The finish on the Sako appears to be a polyurethane-like finish, durable and almost satin - dull oil-like finish appearance. Do you happen to know what that product it is ?? I really haven't looked into to it much. However, I will likely do some touch-up or re-finishing work when I retire or have some extra time on my hands. Thanks for your input. HBHunter

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The one my dad hunted with also has several character dings and blueing rubs. It’s inevitable if you hunt with a blued and wood stocked rifle. I could refinish this rifle but I won’t based on it’s history.

Take a look a my post and pictures in the “Tips and Tricks” section. I recently refinished an AIII with Pro Custom Oil. Some others here may recommend other products which I’m sure work well, I’ve been using Pro Custom for 25-30 years, so I’m used to it's versatility.

I’m unsure of what the exact product Sako used. Generally it is durable. The Sako stocks I’ve refinished haven’t been difficult to strip, unlike a Weatherby or a Browning. Sako used a reddish stain on some series’ and the stain takes some work to totally remove. Most often there’s nice grain hidden beneath. Good luck, with your project.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Sean says, the GO Wholesale rifles were a special order from Sako with their own serial number sequence. There were apparently 500 of them made. They were all on the A-V action, all in .280 Remington, and all with the same standard grade sporter stock (at least to my knowledge). They also had the traditional 620mm (24.4") barrel of the Finnbear, unlike the A-V's that Sako later offered in their regular line in .280 which had a 580mm (22.9") barrel.

I'm lucky enough to own one of these GO rifles and it is a great shooter.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  6. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I feel very fortunate to have one that is a NIB serial # 18x. Sakojim.

7. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sakojim,

You are indeed fortunate to have an NIB specimen.

My newest is supposed to be NIB but obviously that can’t be 100% verified. Although it looks 100%. If you noticed mine is scoped and ready for the range. My hope is, come early fall, a couple of big game animals are photographed with the rifle in the foreground.

This will be a tribute to the gentleman who owned it. Take care.