L61R action with barrel

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by MDJ, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MDJ

MDJ Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    I have an L61R action attached to a very heavy barrel and a laminated stock. It looks like someone (probably my uncle) engraved the number 375 on the bottom of the action. The barrel shows 27" from the action with no taper and no marking.

I would like to know if it's worth putting it together to use it or sell it. Please let me know what you think.

IMG_3188.jpg IMG_3199.jpg IMG_3198.jpg IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3209.PNG

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Do you actually know the chambering? If not, then a trip to the gunsmith would be a must in my opinion. The 375 scratched into the bottom of the action may or may not be indicative of anything. I’d want to know the caliber 100% unless your uncle or someone else can verify. Once you know the caliber, then you’ll have more to go on, regarding keeping or selling.

The blocks say target or heavy varmint rifle. so .375 would be weird for the configuration. But you never know. Good luck.

3. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Mike - what you have is apparently a custom built gun on a Sako action. The barrel and stock would not be origional.
    As far as what you should do with it I don't believe anyone but you can make that decision based on sentimental value to you, ,whether you enjoy hunting or shooting larger caliber rifles, or if you have a need for money.

4. MDJ

MDJ Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    My uncle was a target shooter and has several of these type of gun parts and stocks. I have a Siamese Mauser action on a 45/90 and a Springfield Armory Model 1903 action on a 280. Both barrels are like the one pictured. I'm fairly certain the Sako pictured is a .375, just not sure if it's an h&h or jdj. I will definitely ask him and follow up with a trip to the gunsmith.

At any rate, these are not rifles that I have any sentimental attachment to. I would e interested in selling if there is any sort of market for this style of rifle. if not, I thought they might be fun to put together and used to ground hunt during deer season.

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Understood, honesty the market for these types of creations is narrow at best. Not to say someone wouldn’t be interested. When a rifle is pieced together such as the ones you’ve expressed they become very personalized. Absolutely nothing wrong with creating a very unique piece. However, the greater majority will have a tough time justifying this type of purchase, unless it’s priced very attractively. I hope this works out for you.