L61R .458 Stock?

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by hh4whiskey, Sep 10, 2014.

1. hh4whiskey

hh4whiskey Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    I'm trying to help out a friend, whose aging FIL has a .458 barreled action from Sako, years ago, and wants to stock it. I have gathered that wood was an issue on these, and most I see are synthetic? Anyone know a source for a wood stock, suitable for it or a maker?

Thanks.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The conventional, rather slender Sako L61R walnut stock was not quite stout enough to withstand the recoil of the .458. The few that came with factory stocks are said mostly to have had them split at the tang.

There are a few tricks to bedding a stock for a heavy kicker, among which are to amply bed (usually with epoxy bedding compound) the recoil lug, plus assure that the rear tang is NOT tight in its recess (leave a little gap around the rear and sides). Some gunsmiths will solder an extra lug underneath the barrel to fit in a glassed recess in the fore end.

Any semi-inletted stock for an L61R can be used on your .458 barreled action, but a laminated stock might be the best route to go. You can get them in walnut/walnut so that they look more natural and don't mimic a twisted zebra hide in color. If you don't care for laminated stocks, maple is a heavier, denser wood and might be a good candidate where weight is not a factor.

3. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    I purchased a 458 several months ago . . . It has a custom stock (wood) . . . I'm willing to part with the stock if you are interested?

4. hh4whiskey

hh4whiskey Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alabama
    I am resurrecting this since I’m back in the world and the owner has re-focused on what to do with this action, before his demise.

FWIW:
    Apparently this is one of the rarer configs

SAKO L61R .458 WM, Sporter Finnbear, SN 58xxx, 1984, unopened hang tag still attached

debates are to leave it alone, second hand stock it, or have a custom (laminate?) made and fitted?

input on which and who/what appreciated.

hard to even figure a good value on it as it is vs stocking/ shooting it.....for insurance. This gun will never most likely leave the family. Grandfather wants it to be an heirloom.

Thank you.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Sako L61R, I have a stock, A boyd;s LAminate, bedded and ready to go, I'll let it go cheap.