L61r 264win deluxe bofor model whats its true value?

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by eddsako, Jul 12, 2012.

1. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    100255068-3-L.jpg 264 win deluxe.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

2. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    ....So Many roads....So many trains to ride!

Edd...I thinks you should buy it. It sounds like you want to..."a gun is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"....so, are you that someone? A De Luxe Bofors L61R in .264 is not the everyday rifle, meaning there are fewer of them in the market today...the standard length 24" barrel is more common in that caliber than the coveted 26" tube, which are very rare! If you want it man, then snag it. After all, it's only money

:ranger:Bloo

3. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    I bought one twenty years ago. I paid $1100.00 back then. It is still in the safe. I would not sell mine for that price.

4. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Why emotstehw what range do you think for yours?
    and why

5. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Ed
    A new Deluxe Sako is more than $2500.00 today . . . I believe they are at least $2800.00 Twenty years ago a new Deluxe was around $1000.00 and I paid $1100.00 for my 264 that was manufactured before 1970.

So . . . why would I sell my old Deluxe that is rare . . . for a price below the manufactures suggested retail price for a not so rare deluxe that can be purchased everyday from a major supplier.

If I was broke needed the cash to feed my kids . . . yes I'd sell it for $2495.00

I know Deergoose and Stonecreek have 264 Deluxes. Lets see what they think.

6. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ok thanks I tend to agree and am fairly sure to buy it this week I like it very much but wish it was the 26' barrel is yours a 26" barell or 24".
    regard

7. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Ed
    I have the bofors 24" barrel with the front sight. When it came . . . with the front sight . . . I had never seen a deluxe with a front site . . . So . . . I called Jim Lutes . . . Jim said the deluxe with a front sight were just a cheaper version . . . I thought someone had put a standard 264 barrel and action into a deluxe stock and I was ready to send it back.

8. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ok thanks do you have any pics to show us I'd be interested in seeing it.
    regards

9. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Ed,
    My 2 bob's worth:-
    If you're buying rifles from the US, then I'd buy as many rare ones as possible, as they'll be extremely rare in Oz.
    As we've discussed, the more you add to a shipment, the cheaper it is per rifle to get them back home, so I'd buy up as many 'excellent' examples as possible, even buy some extras to sell here, once landed.

You already have one .222 DWC Super Deluxe, so why bother with another? From a collector's point of view:- condition, diversity & rarity.

Happy hunting
    cheers
    Piper

10. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Point taken Piper I will leave that 222 super deluxe on abused guns for you I spoke to him and he will take $3600 plus post but twist his arm some more and he will move he is a tough seller though. By the wqay it is a DWC as well so if your interested go for it its what you have wanted, the wood grain isnt as nice as mine though. But it looks like I will buy it and another L579 manlicher bofors model, and maybe another not sure whch yet. They are on hold and shall make a move very soon.
    regards

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I can't start to guess the market value of a Bofors .264 Deluxe in Australia, but one in the condition pictured in the U.S. would easily exceed $2,000. How much above $2,000 would depend on such variables as the relative humidity at midnight, phase of the moon, and yesterday's S&P close. But mostly it depends on finding two or more willing buyers with adequate liquid funds in their pockets to bid against each other.

12. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Ed

Sorry I did't get back to you. I went to bed just after my last post. I'm visiting the kids and I don't have any photos of the 264 just now.

I would ask the seller, the history of the gun. And if it has been glass bedded. The photos look good, and the three day return policy should give you time to inspect the gun for flaws.

13. woodman

woodman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
  14. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Is it at all possibile that the stock shape is different on some Sako deluxe rifles,especially borfors models because the one in the link provided by woodman shows a gun with some differences to that being sold.
    Check these out tell me what you guys think? These pics are of the Gunsinternational rifle and the the other pics not on fur are the sakocollectors link pics.?
    I have a suspicion that the 264 on the gun stand has been restocked onto a deluxe stock of a later model, I could be going crazzy but I see differences between the two stock shapes!!
    What do guys think?
    deluxe264%20009.JPG sako delux 264 )).jpg deluxe264%20008.JPG
    [​IMG] 264 win deluxe.jpg 264 win deluxe.2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  15. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Ed- You have a keen sense of Sako stocks. They are much like individualized custom rifles. I had one .243 that was a distinctly scaled down version of it's brother in .308 and both serials were within 200. A member on the forum has that rifle now and it feels like I kept it in the "family". Back in the day there were several ladies that put finishing touches on the Sako's that were turned out. Men too. -Misako

16. woodman

woodman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Looks to me like Eno's rifle has a slimmer barrel and forearm

17. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Ok so they can be alittle individualised and show some variations cool but ENOs is definitely a very nice looking stock.
    So you think that the one for sale is rigi dig original lock stock and barrel.
    regards
    ed
    P.S buying it tommorow

18. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Ed- There isn't a chance in hell that a person can tell whether or not a stock has been switched out on a rifle from pictures on the internet, unless it is a complete change of series or other strong deviation. Serial numbers and dates and characteristics that fit a series of Sako rifles will always be the way I view Sako rifles.-Misako

19. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    misako - that probably right but we can definitly determine that it was always a deluxe model or could that have been altered by changing the floor plate aswell. do the serial numbers align to deluxe models.
    regards
    ed

20. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Agreed...One can't really know for sure until the rifle is in hand to evaluate these points...as far as stock differences, Misako is again spot on in saying that the Deluxes are one at a time rifles, it is highly possible for one rifle to have a slightly different feel and shape compared to another of the same time frame...Sako left this to the individual craftsmen and artisans in their factory, each one working his or her own character and skills...take a look at the subtle differences you find in the skip-line checkering between different rifles of the same period...Interesting once you notice..

Edd...of course you already know that pics of your newest acquisition will be much anticipated! Good Luck and let us know when you get it into your hands~Bloo