L591 with Heavy FLUTED Barrel?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by texasaggie09, Dec 18, 2014.

1. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I just came across a L591 .22-250 with a heavy fluted barrel. The fluted part is throwing me off. Can anyone tell me if this is a "rare" rifle? Any info about them would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Texasaggie09

2. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That is supposed to read "M591". I must have been half asleep while posting...

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I don't recall Sako making any fluted barrels in the M591 Model. Post some pics or describe the stampings on your barrel. It may have been fluted by a previous owner or it could have been rebarreled. Just because a rifle has a barrel on it doesn't mean it came from the factory. Barrels are disposable items & many people rebarrel for various reasons.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The M591 (along with the S491 and L691) had a relatively short run, sandwiched in between the A-series and the Model 75. As a result there aren't all that many of them on the market and most of us are not so very familiar with them. There were a number of different configurations in the S-M-L series and it seems like a fluted HB might have been one of them. If so, the barrel will clearly have Sako factory markings. If your barrel doesn't, then it is aftermarket.

5. texasaggie09

texasaggie09 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This rifle is for sale on a local online classified and I have not seen it in person. The seller is stating that it is an original factory Sako barrel. He is supposed to be sending me pictures of the barrel markings. I have several Sako's and will be able to tell if it is a true Sako barrel. I was just curious if anyone else had one and if so, would it be worth a premium based on its scarcity.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Hard to tell what will be considered valuable in the future. The 91 series Sakos were a very short lived offering & their numbers are few to begin with. That being said they don't bring any premium over the L & A series rifles & they don't seem to have a large or passionate following. I think the fact that they are all the same diameter whether short, medium, or long action hurts their following compared to the earlier & later models whose actions were sized for their respective cartridges groups. Funny sometimes how scarcity doesn't always translate into being more valuable. They kinda get unfairly treated like the step child of the Sako family. They are, however, very nice rifles & may someday be considered a worthy collectable.

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree that the oversized diameter of the S and M actions makes them somewhat less attractive.

There is also some anecdotal information floating around that the 91 series had a weakness in the way the bolt shroud/firing pin assembly was made and that it is prone to breakage. I only have one rifle in this series, an L691 made for Magnum Research, and have seen no problem with it. But a friend of mine came across an S491 recently which he described to me as having a shroud "which would just spin" and the bolt refused to cock on opening.

The 91 series also used a non-integral recoil/bedding block. I can't see that that is a detriment in any way, but is less traditional.

8. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    2 cents from me, now. And worth every penny! The fluteds were meant to be shot and aren't general tablefare for collectors. That said, the value of a fluted Sako will most likely remain as a shooter.- Misako

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Aggie: I looked at the 1998 edition of Shooter's Bible and found a Sako "Long Range Hunter" listed with a fluted, heavy barrel. The catalog only lists the long (L691) action and long calibers. No mention of the M591 and .22-250, but Shooter's Bible listings were never comprehensive, so that model could have been offered.

BTW: The 1999 edition of SB shows the M75 newly available and lists none of the 91 series rifles.

10. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I saw that listing as well. I also has the same question as to if it is a factory barrel. The seller needs to post a picture of the markings on the barrel. This will identify if it is a factory gun. I personally have never seen this flavor in the L591. I do like the L591 sporters. They have some of the best wood you can find on a gun of this caliber. I do have several of the L691's and the only issue that I can find with them is that they are extremely heavy. But still a nice gun.

And don't forget about the prototype L581.

11. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Aggie, my father owned a Sako Long Range Hunter in 7RM that had a fluted, heavy barrel. It shot very nicely, better than my M70 Laredo. I can't recall any complaints he had with it. We both soon tired of the ponderous 'beanfield' rifles and went back to the lighter, handier sporters. Good luck with that M591

12. dicky knee

dicky knee Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland 2
    Hi guys, I am an Aussie sako fan and just in the process of getting an L691 in 270 Winchester in a heavy fluted barrel with a muzzle break installed on it, most things check out fine with the gun but is there any chance the muzzle break would be a factory option ?
    Cheers