L579 with Luminar scope Need Help

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Vince, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Vince

Vince Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Have a L579 with a Luminar scope. Cannot adjust the scope. Is there anyone out there familiar with these scopes?
    I think these scopes were made by Zeiss back in the 60's. I would like to keep this scope with the rifle and everything looks like a normal scope but the windage and elevation knobs will not budge. I know I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance

2. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    You might want to sit that scope on a mirror and peer into it to see if the crosshairs are anywhere near centered. It is possible someone cranked the adjustments to their limits. Should the crosshairs look anything near normal there is always Kroil oil or some other super-penetrant to help you unstick them.

3. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    According to 1962 Firearms International advertising literature, Luminar scopes for Sakos were not made by Zeiss but were "...beautifully made by one of Japan's finest optic concerns." Does anyone have an idea which Japanese company made Luminar scopes?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Robinpeck: Don't know for sure, but some candidates would be Ricoh (Pentax), Hakko, TiAsahi, & Seiko. I've owned Pentax & Hakko scopes before. I do know that Hakko is a respected scope brand in Japan & the one I had was of very fine quality.
    Vince: Is it possible to pull up on the adjustment knobs? If so that might be what allows them to turn, then once set they are pushed back down to lock in place.

5. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I own a Luminar scope which was used on L579 243. Never had any issues but changed out years ago, but still have scope. The adjustments are normal turns, just like current scopes with one click per 1/4”. Was bought from Parker’s distributors when L579 was purchased. Again, adjusts just like a Var X III

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    First I've heard of any connection between Ricoh and Pentax. Asahi made Pentax cameras (sold in the US as Honeywell Pentax, as Honeywell was the importer/distributor). I'm quite sure of this, having visited Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo in the early 1980's.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I bought a Pentax camera in Tokyo in the late 60's & there is no mention of an affiliation or ownership by another entity, but I do recall the later Honeywell importer connection. Ricoh may be just another in a line of companies that is the current controlling interest. Lot's of things change over a 40-50 year time span. I can't keep up with the change of ownership/control that goes on these days, so it may be someone else by tomorrow!