L579 Super deluxe?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Emd, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Emd

Emd Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I recently acquired a L579 Forester bofors steel heavy barrel. Serial number 12xxx which I believe was made around 1961. My question here is this...
    The stock is engraved with checkering and oak leaves which has in my research led me to stumble upon a model known as "super deluxe." I was familiar with the deluxe model but noted that it included features such as engraved floor plate which my rifle does not have nor does it have the inlay on the bottom of the grip. Were these things left off the early super deluxe model? Have these parts maybe been replaced with non-deluxe parts? I hope you sako collectors can offer me some additional info about the model I have. Thanks

2. Emd

Emd Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    https://flickr.com/photos/132149155@N07/sets/72157651537070042

Hopefully these photos work and can give you guys a look at the beauty. In reading some more forums here it seems you folks have already determined that there was not a super deluxe in these old L579's. Which certainly would explain the lack of an engraved floor plate on my rifle. Did they produce a stock like this one on any of the early model foresters? Have a look guys. Let me know what you think. Thanks

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Definitely a very nicely done custom stock. Look closely at the wood checkering/engraved areas. Some engravers/cravers would incorporate their initials discreetly into the craving (usually in the grip area). That may help you identify the maker.

5. Emd

Emd Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find any hidden initials identifying the maker. It certainly was well done and has the sako theme to it. I was hoping it was original or produced by sako as it has the look of the deluxe. But that seems to not be the case. More comments and thoughts would be appreciated. Does the custom stock take some value away from this gun as it is not original?

6. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Valuation, at this point will be "to the eye of the beholder"...Collectors of original and unmolested Sako firearms won't be interested much in a custom stocked rifle. Collectors of custom built rifles would possibly take notice in a gun that exhibits such fine craftsmanship and finish, along with the notion that some collectors of such, can possibly even tell who the craftsman was by signature artwork or design characteristics.
    You have a really nice rifle, regardless of it's non-original conditions, it has good value. -Bloorooster

7. Emd

Emd Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Thanks bloorooster. If anybody here is knowledgeable of such custom stock craftsmen I would really like to here some thoughts on who may have done this work. I'm sure there is a long list but perhaps there were some noteworthy craftsmen who did such work on Sakos. Thanks aging guys for the help