L579 Mixed Parts Rifle, new to forum

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Nicholas, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    IMG_20180123_200459215_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200534913_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200541061_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200706514_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200721034.jpg IMG_20180123_200744619_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200755542_LL.jpg IMG_20180123_200846740_LL.jpg Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to the Sako brand. My father gave me a rifle after mentioning that I was interested in picking up long range shooting. It has a Sako L579 bolt action receiver in 308, a heavy Apex Imperial barrel. He found this setup at a gun show maybe 15 years ago and to his regret didn't pick up a DBM kit that was available at the time for $30. It has a single shot setup. He later took a (what he calls) Canadian Sniper Mauser stock and did the glass bedding and inletting. I'm trying to find my bearings with regards to what I have. I'm particular confused about the trigger, feed ramp (or is it called a follower) and the trigger guard because I can't tell if those are original and they look different from the few photos I've seen of complete L579s. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

2. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Sorry I forgot to include a full view of the rifle. IMG_20180123_210700918_LL.jpg

3. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Looks like factory standard single shot trigger guard and bottom metal to me. Harder to tell about the trigger; it looks like a standard Sako No.4 trigger, but to definitively tell you would need to pull the barrelled action out of the stock.

Marcus

Nicholas likes this.
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Thank you for the insight. Here it is. IMG_20180124_172112995.jpg IMG_20180124_172135816.jpg IMG_20180124_172146419.jpg IMG_20180124_175047399_HDR.jpg

5. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a FACTORY Sako L579 single-shot action.

The bottom metal is factory.
    The pinned-in single-shot action plate is factory.
    The trigger assy. is factory.

The barrel is custom.
    The stock is custom.

Hope this helps.

P.S. If I recall correctly, the factory single-shots were only available as "actions only".....not in a complete rifle.
    The L461 single-shot was also available as an action only.
    Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

Nicholas likes this.
  6. Branxhunter

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    ^^^^^ what Kevin said.

Marcus

Nicholas likes this.
  7. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    Kevinlg/Branxhunter, I've seen that very same picture while briefly investigating if Sako made (complete) single shot L579s. I didn't know the action-only backstory. I think I have just 2 more questions here. (1) Will special tooling be needed if I want to convert the action into a DBM or hidden mag? (2) The L579 action is classified on this site as a medium. Elsewhere I've seen it being called a short action. Is there a valid point for why some call it the latter? Boyd stocks does that, for example (pic). Boyds_At-One.png

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  8. Branxhunter

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    I suggest if you want a repeater action you could advertise yours to swap - you may find someone who would be happy to swap.

Marcus

Nicholas likes this.
  9. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I would decide what you want to do with a unique action. The barrel and stock are of little consequence unless you want to shoot it as it exists. I would build a nice single shot heavy barrel rifle in a varmint caliber and shoot it...

Nicholas likes this.
  10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Finding a DBM or an internal magazine with floor plate could prove to be very difficult. The DBM is especially rare & made as an aftermarket kit, IIRC, although a factory one could also exist. You would be much better off, economically, to sell(or trade)what you have and purchase a repeater, if that is your preference. The L579 was Sako's medium length action. The short action was the L461 & the long action was the L61R. Most sites & marketers tend not to have a good handle on Sako terminology & model designations, so anything you see or hear other than this site take with a grain of salt. Your single shot action, as Kirk mentions, would be of interest to someone looking to build a target/varmint rifle & has more value as is than if you change it. BTW, be extremely careful buying any aftermarket items for your Sako, as they may or may not fit what they say they will.

Nicholas likes this.
  11. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    while on this subject of sako single shot actions thought you guys maybe interested in an aussie version.
    old school style stock by recently passed stock maker from albion park here in n.s.w.
    smithed by barry cockinos of the oaks an outer sydney suburb in 6mm rem.
    susanna

Attached Files:

Branxhunter and Nicholas like this.
  12. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Remarkable stock work & exquisite checkering. Thanks for sharing. With each "mate" that passes the art dwindles.

Nicholas likes this.
  13. Nicholas

Nicholas Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    That is some gorgeous woodwork, Susanna. With knowing what can and can't be done, sounds like staying single shot is best. Between the action's sentimental value, an unwillingness to spend $450 on factory parts, the risk of buying a non fitting aftermarket part that looks too tactical for my liking, it makes the most sense to appreciate the single shot for what it is. My original challenge was to achieve my 1st cold bore shot with follow up silhouette (or tighter) groupings at 915 meters with my own load development within two years; all else is just extra. I should be able to do a range visit within next month to see what it can do with standard ball ammo.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  14. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It also has the unique Australian long shroud, I see. I don't recall that we ever came up with the exact origin or reason for the unique long shroud.