L579 in .257 Roberts

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Jake Brower, May 18, 2019.

1. Jake Brower

Jake Brower Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I have a L579 in .257 Roberts Imp. , the best I can tell is its a Varmint model from the 60’s. My catastrophe is the firing pin is broken and I can’t figure out where I can get a replacement. Any thoughts or if I’m wrong on the ID please weigh in. I also have only ever seen one or two similar in .257. Is this some special chambering of this caliber?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    L579 parts are becoming more, and more difficult to locate. Constantly searching the internet is your best hope. eBay, Numrich, Midwest Gunworks are possible options.

It appears you’re rifle has been rebarreled as .257 Roberts or the improved version were not to the best of my knowledge standard caliber offerings. A very efficient cartridge with light report. Just plain fun to shoot.

You can clearly see the caliber stamp is off slightly and done by hand. Probably a very nice shooter quality rifle but more photos from different angles would be helpful to determine other aspects.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Like Sean said your rifle has been rebarreled with an aftermarket barrel. Can't tell from the picture anything about the stock & whether it is factory or not. Midwest Gunworks, Numrich & other sites don't list any firing pins as available at this time, but keep checking with them & looking on ebay & the gun auction/sales sites & you may get lucky. Lots of times if you call Numrich they will have parts not shown on the online site. If you have the broken firing pin a machinists may be able to duplicate it. Good luck!

4. Jake Brower

Jake Brower Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks everyone this is great info. It’s my old reliable Ca game gun. Hope I get it fixed.

5. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Try First gun shop in Rapid City. SD. I think it is actually Jim First but don't hold me to that. They have many hard to find parts.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Close. It's Jack First.

7. Jake Brower

Jake Brower Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks to you all

8. Glenn Verrall

Glenn Verrall Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hey, from Australia. I have a similar rifle in 257Roberts. Best ever caliber. Fun to shoot and good all rounder. You will have a lot of fun with it. Mine is a re barrel from a 22-250. The only thing is cartridge length, I just seat until they clear the loading ramp and way you go. I don't use Barnes or similar in it mainly Noslers or Core Lokts. Don't get any pigs, deer or goats running away.