L579 Forrester

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Aaron Hunter, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Aaron Hunter

Aaron Hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    I have a l579 Forrester serial number 87508. Was curious what year model it is. Also barrel has been rebored . The 243 stamp has been marked over .Side of barrel says 7mm-308 Winchester. Curious where it might have been done. Stupid accurate rifle

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sako did not issue serial numbers in sequential order so it is not possible to tell the year of production from the serial number alone. We've found consecutive serial numbers assigned to rifles that were manufactured as much as 10 years apart! If you are interested you can order information from the Club's factory records service by clicking on "Factory Records Service" near the top of this page.

I've seen claims that the steel of Sako barrels is difficult and unsuitable for reboring. Obviously, your rifle proves this is hogwash.

3. Aaron Hunter

Aaron Hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas

4. Aaron Hunter

Aaron Hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Yeah saw that after I posted it . Appreciate it though. I'll post some pictures of it once I figure it out . Love the gun

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I got that straight from Dale LaBounty, maybe 20 years ago. He is, I believe, now deceased but he was the top guy in the reboring business at the time. I had asked him about reboring a Tikka LSA. What he said was that the steel in the Sako and Tikka barrels was harder on tools than any other barrel he had bored. He didn't say that you couldn't rebore one, but he did say he wouldn't do it. The price of a rebore wasn't worth the cost in tool wear/damage. It may be that they have harder tools these days; it is possible that industrial diamonds have replaced carbide or whatever LaBounty was using at the time. I know a barrel maker; I'll ask him about it next time I see him. If I can find him; he's kind of hard to get hold of.

6. Aaron Hunter

Aaron Hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas

Attached Files:

7. Aaron Hunter

Aaron Hunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Purchased the gun about 23 years ago. I think Remington adopted it as a 7mm-08 around 1980. Was kinda intriguing .