L579 Forester, Unertl Hawk 4x

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by easymac, Oct 11, 2020.

1. easymac

easymac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Here is my recent find. I spent the morning removing 40 year old tape from the buttplate. I was happy to see the buttplate was not cracked and the tape must have been for a better grip. I cleaned the rings, which were almost unreadable. My close-up shots tell me there is more grime left to remove. It is missing the front sight hood.

Attached Files:

icebear and Unclekax like this.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks like it is in excellent condition, including the scope. Original hoods are impossible to find, but repros can be had for $30. Overall, I'd say you had a good day at the auction.

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Nice. One of the first L579 actions.....would be worthy of running the records service on it. Great pics and thanks for sharing !

DeerGoose

4. easymac

easymac Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I have received the records. Inspection date of January 7, 1959. Shipping date of January 26, 1960. I was informed the inspection date was believed to be "an erroneous entry" since L579 started production in mid 1959. I then wondered how many times I still write the previous years date those first few weeks of the year. Happens to all of us. I will believe the inspection happened January 7, 1960.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I concur with your assumption on the dates. Any handwritten records for anything will contain errors. That's what we humans are known for. Nice find!!