L57 Bottom Metal

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Sako751997, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Sako751997

Sako751997 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Could anyone tell me if this is factory engraving? This is the floor plate on a model L57 HB in .244 Remington. It's hard to get a good picture because of the reflection but it appears to be a woodchuck. 0227202251b.jpg

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There were engraved floorplates available for the early Sakos that look very much like your's that were done in France, IIRC. They weren't done by Sako, but might have been available through Sako. There are some threads here that discuss these FP's with pics & advertisement flyers that would tell you more than my faded memory. Just do a search.

3. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    oh, yeah. pretty sure that's one of the catalogued plates from Firearms Intl. Yes, produced in France. I have a rifle with the 'lynx' plate on it. Congrats, you found another one, I think you have only 3 more to get to "collect them all", just like myself! :)

DeerGoose

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Look up the thread "Floorplate & TG Design" from Nov. 2011. Post #2 by stonecreek discusses these "French" engraved plates & post #3 has a pic of an ad for them that I think shows your particular pattern. Seems FI (Firearms International, the importer for Sako at the time) offered them. There were five patterns, I believe.

FLT likes this.
  5. Sako751997

Sako751997 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    Thanks for the replys. This is my first older sako that's what brought me here. I will being posting more pictures soon, from my quick research it looks to be all correct and not modified but I could be wrong.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that each of the engraved floorplates from France were somewhat individual works. The one I have doesn't match any of those in the advertisement. It seems that each floorplate was done by an individual artisan and each artisan may have made several near copies of a similar pattern plus others of different patterns. Here are some (rather poor) photos of the floorplate I own. I'm impressed by how deep the relief is on these compared to most gun engravings.

DSC08291 (641x1280).jpg
    DSC08296 (960x1280).jpg

I hadn't looked at this one in a while and would have said it was a Red Deer stag, but looking more closely I believe it is a Fallow with its palmated antlers.

ricksengines likes this.
  7. Sako751997

Sako751997 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Massachusetts
    I posted some pictures of this gun under show us your sako. Let me know what you guys see anything that looks out of place. Thanks