• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L57 bolt differences - help

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kj60

With the virus lockdown no work on it seemed a good time to be spend some time in the shed and get some old projects moving along. But I noticed these 'unusual to me' differences with two L57 bolts. Serial nos. are in the 2000's and the other the 6000's.

One has a smaller section that doesn't even come visible when cocked - I previously thought some part was missing but when now looking to make one good bolt out of these two - its actually quite a different size. Anyone know what is going on here? Did previous owner do some tampering to it [ie use a L46 part?] or are there two sizes to L57's. Sorry don't know the names of all the separate parts but the pics show it [whilst one looks larger due to photo angle, they really are a longer and shorter version.

Thanks for any help, and hang in there everyone.

Attachments

• L57 differences??.jpg
    L57 differences??.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 57
It’s certainly interesting KJ60, one has a shorter cocking piece like the later L579 rifles that were only exported here to Australia.
Does the short one function correctly ?

Yes deersako its does seem to function OK and the safety is very easy to operate on the short one - though I've have not fired any loads in the shorter one yet as I assumed it was missing something. Also seems to fit and function in the others action. What are the later shorter variations of L579's that only came to Australia?

You might be onto something there Deersako. I can't think of another reason given both bolts function as designed.

Did previous owner do some tampering to it [ie use a L46 part?]
I compared the photos with the bolt from an L46. The L46 bolt and cocking piece look just like the "long" version of the L57. I've never seen a recessed cocking piece on a Sako before.

It’s certainly interesting KJ60, one has a shorter cocking piece like the later L579 rifles that were only exported here to Australia.
That was my first thought. Previously, we've only seen later generations of the L-series (those with trigger safeties) with the "short" Australian cocking pieces (as opposed to an actual "short Australian":p). If I remember our discussions on this subject accurately, the consensus was that Australian regulations during some period regarded a protruding firing pin as a hazard, so the rear portion of the firing pin assembly was shortened so that it did not protrude from the housing.

With the virus lockdown no work on it seemed a good time to be spend some time in the shed and get some old projects moving along. But I noticed these 'unusual to me' differences with two L57 bolts. Serial nos. are in the 2000's and the other the 6000's.

One has a smaller section that doesn't even come visible when cocked - I previously thought some part was missing but when now looking to make one good bolt out of these two - its actually quite a different size. Anyone know what is going on here? Did previous owner do some tampering to it [ie use a L46 part?] or are there two sizes to L57's. Sorry don't know the names of all the separate parts but the pics show it [whilst one looks larger due to photo angle, they really are a longer and shorter version.

Thanks for any help, and hang in there everyone.

well kj60, cant help with an answer, can tell you i also have an L57 243w with the same style bolt ! ser 5000 cant remember when, thought i put a photo up here in the distant past, never received one reply/answer, mine also has the mystery M hand stamped on the frame after all other markings as per dozens of other aussie sakos.
thanks for the thought hang in there.

well kj60, cant help with an answer, can tell you i also have an L57 243w with the same style bolt ! ser 5000 cant remember when, thought i put a photo up here in the distant past, never received one reply/answer, mine also has the mystery M hand stamped on the frame after all other markings as per dozens of other aussie sakos.
thanks for the thought hang in there.

Sorry I missed the pic Susanna, it certainly is an interesting topic.

Any chance of posting the pic again ?

Sorry I missed the pic Susanna, it certainly is an interesting topic.

Any chance of posting the pic again ?

deersako.
for sure , this is one of the sako mysterys we all know of & talk about.
not to good at this stuff. will dig my only L57 out over our long weekend.
does your rifle have the capital M stamp ?
my rifle came from tassie several years back, been beautifully reblued. stock revived but nothing really damaged, most would not pick it.
susanna

Latest posts

Back