L461 with shrouded bolt

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by paulsonconstruction, Jan 8, 2019.

1. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Got a L461 Varmint in 222 Rem in the shop for work. It's a Stoeger import & has an AI bolt with the shroud. Serial Number is 1565XX. Just FYI for those that keep track of transition rifles. I guessing 1977 or 78 build date. When did Stoeger take over importation?

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I have L461 Serial Number 153100 bought in Australia in 1978.
    Sorry can't help with date for Steoger takeover in US.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've scanned through the shipping records and the latest date I can find for a shipment to Impecco (the importing subsidiary of Garcia) is June of 1977. There was a drought in shipments to the U.S. until October of 1977 when very large shipments of rifles began being booked to Stoeger.

Unlike the transition from Firearms International to Garcia in 1971 when both companies were importing Sakos for a period of time, it looks as if Sako had no American importer for a few months in 1977.

During mid-1977 it appears that Sako may have tried to take up some of the slack by marketing vigorously to European and Australian outlets since those outlets seemed much more active than in previous periods. Maybe Sako had a "fire sale" when it was without an American importer and offered some deals to European and Australian buyers? This is purely speculation on my part.

deergoose likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I always thought 1978 was "about" when Stoeger took over. The infamous online "chart" says the AI stamping change was in Sept. of 1979, so it appears the intermingling of shrouded & non-shrouded bolts in the L461 could have occurred over a fairly extensive "transition" period, possibly two years.. Is that your feeling as well? Is there any evidence that the shrouded bolt appeared in any Garcia imports?

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I doubt it, but never say "never" with Sako. Such a rifle would have to have been shipped in June 1977 or earlier -- presumably before the advent of the shrouded bolt.

6. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Paul,

I have a Sako L461 .222 Rem. HB that came out of production in April 1978. Serial Number 153502. The rifle has the " PIN " through the cocking piece, but not a shrouded bolt! Also the rifle is in " MINT " condition with a Tiger - Striped stock, which I believe is rare with a HB stock. Your thoughts please.

Blackjack

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Curious how you concluded your rifle was from April 1978. If that is documented, it means Sako used a "pinned" bolt many years after we all assumed they discontinued them. Like stonecreek said, "never say never". Sako never let a part go to waste.

8. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Paul,

Yes April 1978 was confirmed some years ago by Stonecreek. When do you think
    the bolt with the PIN was started and discontinued?

Blackjack

9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My knowledge of the "pinned" bolts is very limited, but I always associated it with the early 70's & the Model 72 & that it didn't last long. However, I could be completely off on this. Would be interesting to know for sure. Maybe there is a "pinned" bolt expert here that will chime in.