L461 - Scope and Tangent Rear Sight

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Bob58, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Bob58

Bob58 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Anyone have experience mounting a scope on a L461 Vixen which has a barrel-mounted tangent sight? My sense is that a Leupold Compact 2-7x 28mm might work. Perhaps the objective might line up just aft of the sight w/o having to remove it - which I do not want to do. I like the open sight alternative. There aren't many images of these rifles scoped and when there are they seem to be scoped with European scopes.

I'd be interested in any other ideas or others' experience especially regarding scope and ring height.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, if you'll put a 2-7x28mm in either low Leupold or original Sako rings the objective will sit right on top of the barrel's chamber swell and just aft of the rear sight. I have an L461 set up exactly this way, and although it doesn't have a rear sight, the objective extends only 1.75" in front of the receiver ring, which should be ample clearance for your tangent sight. If you don't need much magnification another alternative is a Leupold 2.5X compact or 1-4 variable.

I've seen very long scopes like the old Weaver K-10 mounted so that the objective bell extendeds beyond the rear sight, allowing it a reasonably low mount, but such a long scope is out of place on a compact little Vixen.

3. Bob58

Bob58 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Thanks for the ring and scope advice - just the experienced help i needed. I suspect 7x will be sufficient and like you I want to keep this rifle balanced and carry-friendly. I have a Rem 722/222/26" barrel that has a long, vintage Redfield 4-12x - it's unbalanced and somewhat visually disturbing.

I have also noticed the Burris Timberline 3-9x 32mm which is 0.4 inches longer and perhaps 4mm larger OD. It's a little more expensive than the Leupold Compact. I can likely get a Leupold Compact for $180 vs the $250 Burris. Besides an older Leupold seems more period, although its not.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. RANE

RANE Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Bob58..Yes, it can be done....I also have L461 Vixen deluxe in .222 Rem.I mounted
    Leupold 2 - 7 using low Sako original split rings.Fits perfectly.You don`t have to even
    touch the rear sight......I had this same dilemma....I didn`t want to remove the rear
    sight.It just belong to where it is.....
    RANE

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Bob: I'd definitely choose the Leupold. I've had friends who've owned the Burris Compacts and they tell me that their eye placement is extremely critical and the sight picture is difficult to acquire. The "Timberline" may be different from the Compacts; regardless, I think you'll be better off with the Leupold 2-7X.

6. Bob58

Bob58 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Thanks y'all. The decision has been made - looks like it'll be a Leupold 2-7x

7. RANE

RANE Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Bob58....Just remembered...you might want to check out new Minox 3-9x scope.
    That model may fit onto your mounts of L461 without touching the rear sight.Next
    time I have a opportunity I`ll check that out myself.Minox scopes are high quality
    products & are incredible bright....oal of this scope is just a tad longer than 2-7 x
    Leupold. (as far as I remember)
    RANE

8. Bob58

Bob58 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Now have a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x that fit nicely on vintage Sako-style mounts. Works nicely. Thanks for the advice.

9. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Good Morning Sako Lovers,
    I have just purchased a lovely Sako L461 .222 Rem. sporter { not HB } made in 1967 and I payed £360 for It. However the rear tangent sight is missing! Luckily the cage is intact and the horns have not been ground off!! I do have 3 tangent parts in my spare parts box - I have the plate with the distance marks, the spring that slides in that plate and the pin that goes through the cage. The other parts are missing! Can any one help please.

Blackjack

10. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Again,
    Also looking for a sweat - on front sight for a Sako L461 { Not HB }
    Blackjack

11. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Lover's,

Does any one know if the front sights on the L461 are soldered on or brazed on? I know the later L461's were screwed on. Thanks.

Blackjack

12. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
  13. blackjack

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Thanks Paul,
    The reason I'm looking for a front sight for my L461 .222 Rem. sporter not HB made in { 1967 } is because when the rifle was screw - cut { not by me } for a sound moderator, the person who did the job, machined off the nose of the front sight! My take on the pesent situation is to find a front sight, un - solder the existing sight and solder a replacement sight back on. The new front sight would be set back a little as the thread is approx 3/4 inch long.

Blackjack