• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 deluxe rebarrel options

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pakula

Got an old 222 deluxe saved from eternal abuse from its previous owner. Want to bring it back to life, barrel has had weeks of foam bore cleaning and is beyond saving. Stock is in desperate need of a refinish. Has anyone done a 6x 47 ? What twist and is the magazine long enough ?

Pakula- You are only looking at .09" difference (less than 1/10th of an inch) in length than a .223 . I don't see a problem with that chambering in a L461. Twist rate depending on what bullets and the bullet length could become a problem with the increase in the COAL. The 6x47 has a lot of neck that could be trimmed down to a custom size to offset some of the length increase. You will probably be good without it, however.

I know it's "only" .09", but in a L461 that is a lot. L461 magazines won't take rounds much over SAAMI OAL & loaded rounds with bullets seated out too far will not eject. So it kinda depends on what bullets you plan to use. The lighter varmint bullets from 55 to 70 grains will work, but you may have problems with some of the bullets in the 75 to 85 grain group. Anything heavier, fagitaboutit! Key is being able to seat the bullets so the OAL is short enough to function with the neck mouth still on the bullet shank, not the ogive. I have a 6x45mm built on a L469 that fit in the magazine & cycle in the action fired or unfired @ 2.30" with 55's & 85's, but will NOT work in my L461 at that length. Fortunately, both these bullets can be seated to 2.27 in the 6x45mm which would allow their use in the L461. Check with the different load data sites to see what the listed OAL is with the bullets you want to use. If you can't seat to less than 2.28" it would be a no go. IMHO, the 6x45mm would be a better option for the L461 action, because of it's length limitations. Either way get a 10 twist, as it will work with bullets up to 90 grains. Anything heavier is not well suited to these cases.

Last edited:
I agree with Paulson. The 6x45 makes a lot better sense than the 6x47 in the L461 due to the magazine length. It is possible to lengthen the L461 magazine a tad, but it is also a lot of trouble and cost for what you accomplish. Besides, the parent brass for the 6x45 (.223) is much more plentiful and less expensive.

But unless you really, really want a 6mm, I'd go the other way and consider something like the .221 Fireball, .20 Tactical, .20 Practical (simply .20/.223) or the .20 Vartarg (.20/221 Fireball). I own a couple of .221's, a .20 Vartarg, and recently acquired a .20 Tactical (all but one on an L461 action) and they are my favorite rifles to shoot.

Thanks guys for your thoughts , sounds like the 6x 45 would be better.Will throw another question out there ;does the .223 AI feed okay in the L461. Could use barnes bullets and have no hassle with the cases.

Although I hesitate to say "no feeding issues" & "Ackley Improved" in the same sentence, I have not heard about or know of any problems with the 223 AI in the L461. Sakos seem to be better with AI's than some other actions. Not sure what is meant by your last sentence. Could you clarify?

I haven't seen this particular AI in an L461 but I've never seen a Sako have problems feeding any AI cartridge.

Paulson-What I meant was that I would only have to fire form .223 loads to get cases. The Barnes projectile should give me performance close to a 6x45.

Depends on the weight of the bullet. The 6x45mm will drive the heavier bullets faster than the 223AI. With the 65 to 85 grain bullets the 6mm is the hands down winner. The long Barnes bullets will have to be seated so deep (in the L461) that they will take up case capacity, which will negate some of what you gain by AIing. I've done quite a bit of wildcatting & have learn that there is no free lunch & you can sometimes think yourself in to no "real" gain for the effort. The 6x45mm is easier to make cases & reload for (all you do is run the 223 cases thru a 6x45 sizer with no fireforming required)), provides a wider bullet selection (both varmint & game bullets), & will give you superior long range performance & accuracy. I've owned them both & wouldn't trade my 6x45 for any 223AI. Just my two cents.

Jogs my memory to 30 years ago going down the path of a 17.223Ai, waste of time. Thanks Paulson will go the 6x45.

I think you will be very pleased with the 6x45mm. It still holds one of the 200 yard benchrest records when it was THE cartridge in that game prior to the 6 PPC. Very pleasant to shoot & very easy to find a good accurate load for. Bullet selection gives you a lot of options on how you can use it. Please keep us posted on your build & how it turns out!! If you need any help on the stock refinishing give us a shout! Lots of guys here that have good knowledge of that. Glad my limited knowledge was of help. Good Luck!

Better to ask advise , cheaper in the long run also you learn by not making other peoples mistakes. Couple of photos to show the abuse this rifle had.

Attachments

• rsz_img_1636.jpg
    rsz_img_1636.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 49
  • rsz_img_1637.jpg
    rsz_img_1637.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 49
I"ve got a L461 in 223AI, it wears a 24" Lothar Walther 1-9". It feeds but don't get in a hurry, I would describe it as jinky, a slow deliberate motion with some back and forth to finally get it in. Let me say that mine is bone stock, nothing has been done to it and it was originally a 223 and was produced right at the introduction of the A1. It is not a rifle I would use as a carry rifle. I have heard of Sako's in 223AI that with some "adjusting" of the feed rails and the use of a less severe bullet profile will feed, I just haven't seen one personally. Here's a pic of mine.

RemEtronx_008_Medium_.jpg

Cmjr- I wish to use it around the farm mainly for wild dogs, need it to feed well as follow up shots are common due to numbers of animals. Nice rifle always liked the feel of thumbhole stocks. Topgear-This rifle came from a station up North Queensland . Looked like it was stored between the seats of a land cruiser for years, came with an old Nikko scope with most of the paint missing, big patches of bluing removed from barrel; stock looks terrible but has minimal dents and scratches just heaps of grime . Never been cleaned for years as factory loads wouldn't eject from pitting in chamber. I can't remember how many times I foamed the bore. Removed front site and recrowned due to muzzle damage. I can only assume he was using number 8 wire to knock out the stuck cases. Only paid 330 for it so I can't complain.

Your lucky Pakula you haven't been reported to the police - $330!!! I know some who would want that just for the engraved floor plate!

Well done mate. Keep us up to date on the restoration!

A great candidate for a make-over. Usually it is a crime to refinish a Sako Deluxe, but with this one you can put a little effort into a new barrel and redone stock and have a real jewel.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks guys for your thoughts , sounds like the 6x 45 would be better.Will throw another question out there ;does the .223 AI feed okay in the L461. Could use barnes bullets and have no hassle with the cases.

I converted an L461 Vixen from 222 mag to 223 AI a number of years ago. I was worried about problems with feeding but they never occurred. I put a brand new Krieger barrel on it and am happy. I've killed better than 30 coyotes with the rifle since the conversion and it has never missed a beat.

I had a Remington 700XB in 6X47. The rifle was a tack driver but where I lived, Alaska, I had no use for it other than punching holes in paper. There are far better 6mm cartridges than either the 6X45 or 6X47.

My favorite bullet for coyotes and bobcats is the 50 gr V-Max but I've shot a lot of other cartridges with good success. The Ackley Improved cartridges reduce brass stretching and the increased velocity will surprise you. I use H4895. The barrel is a 12 twist.

Pakula - in the first post you mention the bore was a mess and the Foam Bore cleaner didn't help.
I ask because I have never used it and have been thinking about getting some and trying it out. Would be interested in the opinions related to it.
Any opinions would be welcomed including brands used.
Thanks

pk1- thanks for your input. I might be lucky and find another ,then do both calibres.
Marlin92- I have only used Hoppe's Elite foaming gun cleaner. Normal cleaning with solvent and patches does a fair job. Use this and you will notice heaps of residue was left in a barrel you thought was clean. Haven't tried any other products as yet.

Back