L46 L46 Rhiimaki- 222

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Andy Kessner, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Andy Kessner

Andy Kessner Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have this Sako L46 in triple duece that has an unusual finish on the metal parts. I've been collecting old Winchesters for years and can spot a re-blue from across the room, but this one looks like Nickel. I have take the rifle out of the stock, and there are no tell-tale signs of a sloppy job, and even the 5 round magazine is stainless or nickel. Anybody know if Sako ever made one like this? Serial number is visible, and not real sure when it was made. I sure like shooting it.

I'm a new member here, so if I step out of bounds, please forgive. I have two other Sako's also.

Attached Files:

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I would guess it’s been hard chromed. The process isn’t seen as much these days but it was popular for a time. With the modern coatings available today the hard chrome process probably isn’t done much anymore.

3. Andy Kessner

Andy Kessner Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I gotta disagree on the hard chrome. I've had some single actions that were bumper chromed, and it is obvious. This is a really smooth satin finish. I've seen some Pythons with a finish that isn't shiny, but looks like this. I think they called it E-nickel.

4. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Look at examples of hard chromed firearms on web. I’m not talking about cheap bumper chrome. Hard chrome looks very similar to satin stainless. The process is very high quality and provides excellent results. And, it’s very expensive. I’d suggest getting other opinions. I’m sure others here will weigh in.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. Andy Kessner

Andy Kessner Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks Sean. I guess I'm used to seeing badly done SAA's. It is a nice job and cleans easily with a micro fiber towel. I will see what others say also. I need to find another 5 rounder for it.

6. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    7F9E5B35-EAF2-43F0-8647-EDB7A430585A.jpeg
    Here is an example.

Andy Kessner likes this.