• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 or sako-mauser ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

It's a Sako magnum (as marketed way back then and chambered in magnum and non magnum cartridges)
The first of the Sako long actions built on an FN Mauser action with a Sako barrel, stock and trigger.

Edd!

Deersako is right.

It ws marketed in the US as Sako Hi Power in .270Win and .30-06. There were also a Sako Magnum Mauser in .300H&H and .375H&H.
In Finland and Sweden they were called Sako Mauser and were also available in 8x57 and 8x60.
There are reports on 9,3x57 and I have seen one original 9,3x62 as well.
The 8x60 is mostly the .318 version but there are reports on .323.

Introduced in 51 and produced unti approx 60.

There are also version with a more German look with schnabel fore end and also a version with Monte Carlo stock with high comb.

The earliest like this one had wing type safety and a floorplate you would need a tool to pry open! Around 54 they introduces a right hand side sliding safety and a floorplate that actualy could be opened as on regular rifles.

Very nice rifles and I would just love to own a .300 and a .375H&H!

Jim

Thanks for the clarification Jim !
I bought one here in Australia some 18 months ago in .270 that was described as excellent but on its arrival it was far from that ! It had been tampered with a little more than I would have liked so was returned.
I'd like to lay my hands on a good original example if anyone has any leads !

Yes I understand and would be interested in one if it was available here in oz I dont think they sold them in Australia so it will need to be an international purchase!
They are a very good combination SAKO - Mauser, in my opinion the best marriage possible, they would've been very good gun in their day. I reckon they might be extremely good guns.
thank l need to find one in excellent condition in large cal;.

Yes I understand and would be interested in one if it was available here in oz I dont think they sold them in Australia so it will need to be an international purchase!
They are a very good combination SAKO - Mauser, in my opinion the best marriage possible, they would've been very good gun in their day. I reckon they might be extremely good guns.
thank l need to find one in excellent condition in large cal;.

There are some around here in Aus, just take some time
I had one in 8x60 with serial number 103860, thought it was special, but just a coincidence with the number matching the calibre, have seen other 8x60 and 270 here
The best thing about them is they look like a big L-46 as you mentioned

Edd!

Deersako is right.

It ws marketed in the US as Sako Hi Power in .270Win and .30-06. There were also a Sako Magnum Mauser in .300H&H and .375H&H.
In Finland and Sweden they were called Sako Mauser and were also available in 8x57 and 8x60.
There are reports on 9,3x57 and I have seen one original 9,3x62 as well.
The 8x60 is mostly the .318 version but there are reports on .323.

Introduced in 51 and produced unti approx 60.

There are also version with a more German look with schnabel fore end and also a version with Monte Carlo stock with high comb.

The earliest like this one had wing type safety and a floorplate you would need a tool to pry open! Around 54 they introduces a right hand side sliding safety and a floorplate that actualy could be opened as on regular rifles.

Very nice rifles and I would just love to own a .300 and a .375H&H!

Jim

I heard the '8x60' domestic market rifles had the 'J' bore and the others 'export' had the .323" bore
just 'hear say' i suspect, never bothered to check with the verniers.
I had one which i imported from Sweden with a 'J' bore. was a nice rifle, classic walnut L46 style stock, Kids came along and it had to go!
Why they never chambered it in the 7x57? they where ahead of there time, with so many other rifles

Last edited:
Back