Short Actions L46 magazine and bottom metal

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Tomball, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deluxe set on GB for sale. Our friend in Montana has already bid.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Wow. I can't recall ever seeing a set like that for sale. Somebody looking for an upgrade should be all over this one........Note .222Magnum

DeerGoose

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    What will the gunfather price be?

4. Tomball

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    He opened @ $300. He is all over this now. If he wins, assume he will use to upgrade as DeerGoose mentioned someone could and we will see the one of a kind rifle in a few months. I doubt he will offer as parts.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Is that the Gunfather who is the opening bidder? I wonder how high he would be willing to go to get those parts as the basis for a fake "NOS" L469 Deluxe. Probably pretty high.

I'm thinking of getting in this. I have two L469's, a sporter and a carbine. The sporter is ordinary-looking, with a typical dark-stained stock. The carbine is a really nice piece, with lighter colored wood. It would look great with the Deluxe parts added, but I don't know how much value they would add since the carbine is already a very rare item and it wouldn't be all original with the Deluxe parts. Both rifles are excellent shooters, the carbine being a bit fussy about ammo.

Any thoughts on how much those parts are worth? Given what .222 Magnum mags will bring, 300 is a reasonable opener, but I wonder if it is worth spending the money to get the parts. It would be kind of fun to put one on the Gunfather, but how much is that worth?

Any thoughts? L469-222 Mag 1.JPG L469-222 Mag 3.JPG L469-222 Mag 4.JPG 222 Mag 2.JPG

6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yeah, my thoughts include how can I get that carbine away from you! :) what a nice rifle, so congrats to you icebear ! go ahead and buy the deluxe metal and dress it up......keep the original and you have nothing to worry about !

I can see that metal going for $400-$500......just doesn't come up for sale that often. I'm not interested, I've got plenty of Riihimaki bottom metal! ;)

thanks for the pics.
    DeerGoose

7. ak87beemer

ak87beemer Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    So gents - what is a blued L46 action 222 length that has never been barreled worth? Major C

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    None. In fact, if you put such a rifle on the market it wouldn't bring nearly as much as the original since it is clearly not original. However, if you just want to dress up a rifle for your own pleasure (and keep the original bottom metal available should you ever want to sell or trade it), then have at it and enjoy it.

9. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That was what I was thinking as well. Where a set like that would really shine is on a custom rifle - but I certainly wouldn't build a custom on an original L469, and finding one that was already worked on, or a barreled action, would be a needle in a haystack. There was a barreled action on GB a while back, but the seller wanted almost as much for it as I paid for my complete L469 sporter with a scope.

10. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Let the Gunfather have it, one way or another it will end up on a cobbled together rifle.
    If CS end up with it, they might make a few more and we can all have one....

11. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Pictures were added to the listing but I can't make out the name engraved on the bottom of the trigger guard.

12. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Three hours to go and the bid is at $410. I've decided to stay out of it. There are three or four separate bidders and the Gunfather is not currently the high bidder, although he's got plenty of time to get in another bid. The trigger guard/magazine set would be a really cool thing to have but I just don't want it badly enough to spend that kind of money.

13. Tomball

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    He is high bidder now at $555

14. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Three minutes to go and it's a hair over $700. Two guys named Seaweed and Deepnight are in a bidding war.

Baranyk likes this.
  15. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That’s a lot of dough.

16. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    A strange outcome. The set closed at $700.07. Next highest bid was $700.00, and he didn't bump his bid even with only 7 cents difference. I can think of two explanations. One, the loser realized he'd gotten carried away in the excitement of the moment and was just as happy that he'd lost. I've been there myself. Two, something fishy was going on. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm just as glad I didn't get involved.

17. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Who ended up with it ?

18. Tomball

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Deepnight had the deepest pockets tonight.

19. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Did you see what he paid for 7x33 brass? He is on the forum, just don't know who....

20. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Your on the ball Tom :D