• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 Hornet one-piece fullstock in auction

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Looks nice. In that condition, with the one-piece stock, I predict it will go for serious money. It appears to be very late production, with the Monte Carlo stock and machined trigger guard.

I'm not sure that is a factory stock! Why would the "Bofors Steel" barrel stamp be half covered?? Buttplates & grip caps are a dime a dozen & checkering can be duplicated with ease. Muzzle cap doesn't show the fit that I've seen on other Sakos. Monte Claro looks just a tad different, as well. I could be wrong, but "just sayin'"! Would be curious what the "Factory Records" say. In today's market I'm suspicious of everything.

I'm not sure that is a factory stock! Why would the "Bofors Steel" barrel stamp be half covered?? Buttplates & grip caps are a dime a dozen & checkering can be duplicated with ease. Muzzle cap doesn't show the fit that I've seen on other Sakos. Monte Claro looks just a tad different, as well. I could be wrong, but "just sayin'"! Would be curious what the "Factory Records" say. In today's market I'm suspicious of everything.
The finish seems wrong, as well. No stain, matte finish rather than glossy. It could be a replacement stock, or just refinished. Checkering in the grip area looks right but the forend doesn't look quite the same. I did not pick up on the anomaly in the cheekpiece, but I am not an authority. Compare with my photo and see what you think.

For a piece like that, there should be more photos. The description is cut off in mid-sentence: "Includes a brand new in..." S/N is not given and there are no pictures of the left side.

Here is a photo of a known original L469 carbine with the late style stock, for comparison.
L46 Hornet one-piece fullstock in auction

Good thing that it's south of the line (and that therefore I won't be bidding.) I won't have to make a decision on its authenticity. It will be interesting to see what it goes for though.

I did not pick up on the anomaly in the cheekpiece, but I am not an authority. Compare with my photo and see what you think.

View attachment 28142
It appears to me that the drop from the rear of the Monte is more severe & the stock in that area is slightly "humped". Your stock doesn't seem to drop nearly as much & the top of the stock from the Monte back is straight. Hard to be certain comparing pics. As we all know, anything is possible with Sako, but I would not buy that gun without some PROOF of originality.

The lack of pictures is a serious problem, as is the omission of the serial number. With the s/n, we could at least see if the Monte Carlo stock and machined trigger guard are consistent with the serial number.

The lack of pictures is a serious problem, as is the omission of the serial number. With the s/n, we could at least see if the Monte Carlo stock and machined trigger guard are consistent with the serial number.

Icebear, look at the pictures again. The serial number shows clearly in the 8th photo from the left.

Icebear, look at the pictures again. The serial number shows clearly in the 8th photo from the left.
That photo wasn't there yesterday when I posted, or for some reason wasn't coming up. Last photo I could see was the one of the magazine. Number is in the 43xxx range which is compatible with a Monte Carlo stock and machined trigger guard.

Here is an original .22 Hornet for comparison:
Front swivel barrel/stock band missing for starters.

Attachments

• L46 Hornet one-piece fullstock in auction
    9C1917AC-6CB8-434F-83CE-56AF56D5D06F.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
    5AFC0A26-EF1A-4739-8A23-D311A98231B6.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 33
    D750B75C-555C-48DD-93E0-89B4BF4D0D4D.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 29
    272334B5-E96C-4B60-B6D9-7493DD4EC52B.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
    D1D982D2-ABB8-4B44-AE7D-DC7613476F8D.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 27
    61A40845-6007-4283-BCB6-22B3A6AAFDF1.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 27
    706125A9-CA4B-4D56-95BA-BCF193C3AF42.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27
    1501EEB0-CAD4-4FD6-AD47-9726E287C445.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 28
    2806E82C-A42E-4FF1-9E11-1AC4CF807F01.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 29
    99848AC9-1EB4-4BD7-B61A-456D1AF7DC9E.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Front swivel barrel/stock band missing for starters.
Sako used the barrel band to cover the joint in the stock. There were a small number of guns built with one-piece Mannlicher-style stocks; these did not have the barrel bands. I have only seen the one-piece stocks on medium actions - L57 and (I think) L579. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Sako did make a few L46 rifles with one-piece full stocks - but that doesn't mean I think this example is authentic. I'd want to see one known to be real before venturing an opinion.

I bet it goes for a lot of money, even if it isn't original.

Nice looking Hornet Spaher!

I'm all in that the Hornet on the auction is all original. Looks though that someone lightly sanded off the finish though. I have seen this done on a couple other old Sako's.

In my experience auction fees, taxes, shipping etc. can easily add another 1/3 to the hammer price. So roughly $5300.(US) total?

Back