L46 Hornet on GB

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by ricksengines, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Anyone looking for an L46 in .22 Hornet (looks all original too) better hurry. It is on GB as I speak and the bid is a tad over $2500. Better hurry only 2+ hours left to bid.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777599938

rick

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Thanks for the heads up, I bid it up to $2800.00 but stopped there. If I didn’t already have one I would have made it really expensive for that guy...

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If a nice L46 Hornet is worth $2,800 or more, then what should a similar L46 .218 Bee, .25-20, or 7x33 bring? Just wondering the group's opinion of whatever dollar difference the various calibers make.

4. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The 218 Bee is worth a few hundred more, the 25-20 as well. The 7X33 is tough to really determine the price, as I have seen very few and those were pretty well used. I also think that the wood on the 7X33 is the old birch with some burn marks on them to look less like cheap wood and I find them very unattractive. Not unattractive enough to not buy one if the price was right, but I may put it in the safe with the BB guns.

I really would like to get a 25-20 someday and maybe even the 7X33 just to round out the old Riihimaki guns, but the 25-20 really does get me excited...

5. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The 7x33 was also made with walnut stocks, both in half-stock and Mannlicher configuration, but these are somewhat less common than the birch stocks.

Some of the birch stocks had full checkering, some had checkering only on the grip, and some had no checkering. Some of the "flame stained" birch stocks are actually quite attractive to my eye.

In terms of value in the U.S., I would agree with your assessment that the Bee (which was imported to the U.S.) and the .25-20 (which was not) will bring more than the Hornet, all things being equal. For the Bee I would say "several" hundred dollars more, rather than "a few" hundred more. For the .25-20 it is impossible to say since the very few examples floating around here were imported by individuals and they come up for sale so rarely that there is no dependable market yardstick for them.

6. pow

pow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Wow $2800 and the photo of the muzzle showed rust marks?

7. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    That is an extremely nice gun for it's age. Actually it is extremely nice for a late gun for that matter. Photographing guns is hard to do without proper equipment, lighting and knowledge of photography. If you look at the pictures of the top of the rear of the action, it looks like rust, until you see the second photo with better light.

I have photographed dozens of firearms and a camera will show more appearance of rust than there really is. Bluing is a controlled rust process, so the tendency for rust to exist is probably more prevalent than one would think. Take a white "T" shirt and oil it up with some Break Free or similar lubricant and even on a new rifle, you will get rust residue on the rag.

That rifle is worth well over $3000.00, I already have one or I would have bid farther on it...

DSCN3854.JPG DSCN3855.JPG

Björn T likes this.
  8. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I've only ever seen one come up for sale in the US. It made $4750US + the auction premium which would have put it above $5000US. It had been dockered on the trigger guard and rear site. But maybe Mark Benenson was someone famous?

US 2520.JPG

9. ricksengines

ricksengines Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Any of our members that has a 25-20 or 7x33 that they want to sell please shoot me a PM so we can discuss price and exchange pics.

Many Thanks

rick

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Interesting that the auction company put its estimate ($1200-$1800) so far below the actual selling price.

But such disparity in Sako pricing is pretty common. More often than not it goes the other way: Some guy has a well-used 1979 L61R in .30-06 with a Tasco scope in Weaver mounts. It might be worth $800 on a good day. So he goes into Cabela's, sees the inflated price tag on a new Sako 85, and thinks his rifle is worth a mint. Then he wonders why no one is answering his ad when he offers it at a "bargain" $1,500 -- even when he offered to throw in the bipod contraption attached to the front sling stud and a half box of Federal 180 grain round nose that only have a little bit of green stuff growing on the cases.

deergoose likes this.