Short Actions L46 bolt guide

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by stonecreek, Jun 30, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mark it down to carelessness, but I managed to break the snap ring which holds the bolt guide in place on an early L46. If anyone knows of a source for a replacement snap ring I would be exceedingly grateful.

However, the bolt seems to work just fine without the bolt guide. So far as I can see, the primary function of the bolt guide is not to actually guide the bolt (keep it from binding, which it may help with), but to serve as a block for any gas escaping the action from a failed primer or case. Am I mistaken in this observation?

Rogan Kinnear likes this.

2. FLT

FLT Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I don’t think you are, I think that’s the primary function.

3. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    I have a 579 bolt with broken guide ring that I was able to fabricate a new one for out of 22 guage stainless steel. Took a few tries to get one made just the right size but seems to work well. I do agree that the guide is mainly for safety from escaping gases

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Say it aint so, Stoney.....!!

How'd you manage that?!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Too embarrassed to say. :(

Rogan Kinnear and kevinlg like this.
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I don't know for certain whether the intent of the "bolt guide" was to guide the bolt & prevent binding while cycling or to "block" gas/debris from a blown primer or case failure or both. The theory that it provides protection from escaped chamber gases/debris makes me wonder why the left bolt lug raceway was left, by design, unobstructed to any gas/debris flow should a primer or case fail. I think the fact that it is called a "bolt guide" is more indicative of it's function than any secondary safety function it may have for protection against primer/case failure & the associated gas/debris flow, as any blockage it would provide on the right side would be offset by the blast in your face from the left side. Or am I missing something?

7. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    Interesting I was just thinking about that last nite about the left lug raceway being left open so I got out one of my rifles and looking at the action with bolt closed, the left lug raceway cavity looks pretty well sealed off between the bolt body and receiver, where on the right side, if the bolt guide was not there, it would leave a big opening for a lot of gas to escape. Just my observation maybe right maybe wrong