L46 and L579 Scope Rings

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by BruceHB, Oct 6, 2020.

1. BruceHB

BruceHB Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    My bad, I assumed the thumb screws would have the same torque settings as those on my Spuhr mounts which is listed at 45 inch pounds. I believe I've over torqued the thumb screws and have bent the ring base stud and possibly opened up the bracket that holds the base to the receiver. What is the correct torque settings for the thumb screws, I recall hand tight + 1/8 or 1/4 turn.

Any recommendations on how to straighten the stud the thumb screws connect with? They have a very slight upwards cant. Also the brackets themselves look as if they've opened up but I don't have a good set to compare them to. If anyone has a picture of their mounts I'd appreciate seeing them to see how badly I may have damaged mine.

I've ordered another set, but until they arrive I'm curious what non-damaged ones look like.

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
  3. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Based on my calculations and those on the mil-rad site the Nightforce NX8 4-32X50F1 optic plus 2mm additional clearance for the lense covers will clear the barrel by 2mm or .08 inches. Question, do they Sako Ringmounts have a front and rear ring set as the locating pin shown in the attached picture will only work on the rear taper of the base. Also, several buyers noted the scope height was off by .005 of an inch making me wonder if the rings home some MOA adjustment built in and they simply reversed the position of the rings? However, with the locating pin only in one, that would make this impossible.

I'm assuming these rings secure directly to the tapered base of the Sako action. Have you heard of issues regarding the irregular ring height issue?

Thanks, Bruce

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The locating pin is irrelevant & many remove it to allow the ringmount to be positioned anywhere on the rear dovetail. Yes, there is a rear & front ringmount. Leupold offers 30mm Sako ringmounts in 4 heights including extra-high for mounting telescope type optics. The Leupold's do not have the unnecessary locating pin, are lighter, & more streamlined. They also are about half the price of the Sako Opti-Lok ringmount you show. Windage adjustment can be done by moving the ringmounts along the tapered dovetails.

5. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I'm going with the Sako Ringmounts and hope the reported issues of inconsistent ring height reported by some users were an anomaly. While I like having my father's Sako L579 shooting well, I don't want to mount a $4,000 or $5,000 optic on it (ATACR Nightforce or Tangent Theta). Thankfully Spuhr doesn't make mounts either, their mounts are very expensive, but solid as rock.