L46 7x33

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Peter1972, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Peter1972

Peter1972 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi all, just thought I'd share what I'm doing with my 7x33.
    I bought it a few weeks ago and am still waiting on some optilocks to arrive before I can start load development, will then fit a 3-9×40.
    The rifle came with an Oigee 3x scope that I'll sell off.
    The bore is in excellent condition and I'd say the rifle overall is good to very good considering its age.
    Have bought 200 Sako brass, 500 78gn soft points and am using load development from another member here.
    Off the top of my head I've started with 15gns 2205 in .5gn increments up to 16.5.
    Nothing unusual with all that. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.
    Being a caster I contemplated what I can do once the 500 projectiles are used up.
    So after a lot of procrastination and searching I recently purchased an NOE 73gn hollow point flat base mould, Pat Marlin 7mm plain base gas check maker, 285 Lee sizing die and a suitable neck expander.
    I'll powder coat, gas check then size, probably stick with a tolerance of +/- .1 or .2gn weight. When everything arrives I'm hoping I can get it all to work.
    Anyway, that's what's going on and I'll update as the project progresses.
    Pete

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

waterwolf, tilleyman, sraaw and 2 others like this.

2. Peter1972

Peter1972 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Scope rings finally arrived so I got to finally shoot the 7x33.
    Had to go when super high to clear the bolt but its actually not to bad.
    Anyway, 15, 15.5, 16 and 16.5 2205 at 100m.
    To say I'm happy how this shoots is an understatement. [​IMG][​IMG]

Branxhunter, pepperC and waterwolf like this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako 7x33's are interesting rifles, and capable of excellent accuracy. When you start casting bullets be aware that Sako used a .286" bullet instead of the conventional .284" for the 7mm bore. Like many things, it is a mystery why, but they did. I've worked very little with cast bullets, but you may want to size them a tad larger than .285" for the best accuracy. Hard cast bullets usually work best at .001 to .002" larger than groove diameter. That said, I've used some .284 jacketed bullets in my 7x33 which have exhibited acceptable accuracy.

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Stonecreek is right on about the bore diameter & with hard cast lead bullets a thousandth or two will make a huge difference. I would get a mold that dropped a .288" bullet with the alloy you intend to use. That way you may or may not have to size it down the .287" depending on accuracy. A 285" hard cast bullet will rattle down the bore of a 7x33 & lead your barrel. I wouldn't bother with a gas check unless you find it necessary, as the velocity of the 7x33 probably isn't going to lead your barrel if your bullet fits properly, is lubed properly, & is made with the proper alloy. Let us know how things go.

5. Peter1972

Peter1972 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A step closer to trying cast. Mold from NOE arrived today. Will start casting and powder coating next week.
    Still a bit of a wait for the gas check maker though. [​IMG]

cl_leg, caberslash and ricksengines like this.
  6. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Once you get up and running I would be interested in some projectiles

chris