L46 L46 .222

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Noplans, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi
    This is my first Sako bought from a Same up norrh in Sweden. Shoots like a dream.
    I shall se if a order some info from collectors shop. Is this a normal L46 with cap?

Larsa

Attached Files:

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I don't know what "with cap" means, but that looks like a normal, as-built L46 sporter to me, except that it does not have a front sight. It would have been very unusual for an L46 to be built without one, but with Sako nothing is impossible. You can check the barrel near the muzzle to see if there is any sign that a front sight was removed. Sako front sights were soldered in place, so if one was removed there would either be an area with no bluing, or possibly where someone had touched it up with cold blue.

It looks like the scope is a recent addition, as it is much newer than the rifle and is in what appear to be Optilock mounts.

Otherwise, it looks original to me, a well-worn example which you would expect given where it came from.

For the benefit of our US members who might not be familiar with the Same (Sah-may) people, these are the hunting and reindeer-herding people of northern Scandinavia. Their homeland is usually called Lapland by Americans, and the people used to be referred to as Lapps. They are called Sami in Finnish, and the Sami language is related to Finnish. The term Sami/Same is the correct one; "Lapp" is foreign derived and never used by the Sami themselves, or by the Finns.

Unclekax, Noplans and tripledeuce like this.
  3. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks icebear!

There is no sign of front sight. Should it not be even something at rear. Or was it a pip sight.
    I gave 250 US for it and it shoots within an inch at 100 meters.

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The most typical configuration for an L46 was with a front sight but no rear sight, the idea being that you would use either a scope or the clamp-on Sako rear peep sight. Earlier guns, especially those sold in Europe, had an open rear sight on the barrel.

I have a 1951 L46 in .222 with no sights at all, like yours. There is no sign of a front sight being removed, but it could have been removed by a very good custom gunsmith and the bare spot cleaned up and blued. Nobody is completely sure if it is factory original or if it was customized for the owner.

What is the length of the barrel on your rifle, as measured from the muzzle to the face of the bolt? The normal length of an L46 barrel is 600mm. If the barrel is shorter than that, it could have been cut down and that is why there is no front sight. However, from the photos your barrel appears to be of normal length.

Here are two L46 rifles. The one on top is similar to yours, except that it has the very early Mauser-style "wing" safety. As you can see, it also lacks sights. The lower rifle, with a Mannlicher-style stock, is a typical L46 with a factory front sight and removable Sako aperture rear sight.
    L46 Pair 1.JPG

ricksengines likes this.
  5. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Great rifles you have!
    My saftey is like your lower. The barrel is exactly 580 mm. It looks like it should do.
    20 mm seems to little for taking away sight.

Attached Files:

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    How are you measuring that barrel? Are you dropping a cleaning rod down the barrel to the bolt face, or are you taking the distance from the muzzle to the action? Both my L46 rifles measure 580mm between the muzzle and the action, but the distance to the bolt face is an additional 20mm.

The muzzle crown on your rifle looks like a correct, original Sako factory crown, suggesting that it has not been cut. The face is almost flat and the rifling is slightly recessed, as is the case with both of mine.

I find it quite interesting that now we have two examples of very early L46 rifles in .222 with no sights and no visible sign of sights being removed. And one rifle (mine) was originally exported to Canada and the other (yours) was sold in northern Europe. Perhaps Sako did make a few standard grade L46 rifles without any sights. Few if any Sako collectors in the USA have ever seen an L46 that came from the factory without sights, and most believe that particular configuration was never built by Sako. It is still possible that both guns had their front sights removed without a trace, but it seems unlikely that your rifle, which came out of the Sami country, would have had the sight removed so carefully that there is no visible sign of it. Could you post a photo of the top of the barrel at the muzzle, where the sight would have been?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    deergoose likes this.
  7. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    No i did distance from the muzzle to the action. I have been looking for a new stock but the one I found was so expencive. So this will ve good. I have low original Sako rings for the rifle.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You got a great gun for a great price. Even in well used condition it would bring at least three times that much in the U.S., Canada, or Australia.

Prices for rifles in Europe seem to favor larger calibers over smaller ones. It seems that this is a phenomenon caused by there being fewer users of small calibers than in the past. Those users used to be farmers and other rural people who hunted small game, fur-bearers, or protected their farm animals from varmints and predators. There are far fewer such people across most of Europe now as compared to 50 years ago.

On the other hand, larger calibers used by big game hunters seem to bring somewhat higher prices, perhaps due to most European hunters being more affluent, game hunting being somewhat expensive, and therefore the price of rifles in hunting calibers being higher due to selling to people with generally deeper pockets.

Also, more affluent hunters, even though they might enjoy owning a smaller caliber rifle, are often limited by law in the number of firearms they may own, so if they want two or three game calibers along with a couple of shotguns for pheasants and waterfowl and such, then there may be no room in their ownership allotment for something like a .222 -- especially if that .222 isn't legal for game like roe deer.

I may be misunderstanding this from 4,000 miles away, but this is what my observations have indicated.

9. Noplans

Noplans Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    other
    Yes in Sweden 3 weapon hunting licenses are what the police allowes, above that you will need to have an valid explanation. Normaly about 4 is ok. The licenses is normaly shootgun, class 1 for moose, class 2 foor deer and class 4 .22 for training. There is less animals here to shoot with class 2 than in US.
    amunition is much more expencive here. Hunting amo for .300 win mag is about 80 US for 20 pcs.

10. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    If the cap you are referring to is the grip cap, this is orginal for that version of L46. It is normal to see an L46 without sights. just not normal to the US which many on here are from and base findings on those imports. Here that would typcially sell for $800 Canadian