L 579 Sako rings and things

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by BruceHB, Jul 10, 2021.

1. BruceHB

BruceHB Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    What are the suggested torque settings for the thumb screws and top ring mounts? What is the suggested start setting for the base adjustments, should I have the small screw side adjusted all the way in about halfway out (approximately 2.25 turns out?

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I don't know of any "recommended" torque setting for the vintage Sako thumb screws. The recoil of the rifle will "set" them as tight as they need to be as that is the design intent of the tapered action dovetails. I used to just tighten them with my hands & never had any issues, but as my hand strength has diminished & my arthritis has increase I give them a slight turn with a screwdriver to make sure they are snug. Overtightening them can cause the crossbolt to bend, so don't use gorilla force. The small screw adjustment on the left side is for windage/centering adjustment of the scope. This will vary depending on where the ringmounts are positioned on the tapered dovetails. I just set a 1" tube (or you can use your scope) & adjust the rings so the tube slides back & forth and there is no binding. You can center the scope over the bore using this adjustment screw as well, but I don't worry about getting the scope "exactly" centered & I have never had any trouble getting a scope zeroed with the internal adjustments the turrets provide. Keep in mind this is a self-tightening system & don't get carried away with torque settings.

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Curious what caliber that is with the Blue Mountain barrel on there. Is that a heavy barrel? Looks larger than standard sporter.

4. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank you for the suggestions.

5. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I had it chambered for 6mm Creedmoor with a custom chamber, .275 and .135 freebore. The barrel is a custom contour as the Sako action is not as big as the latest premium actions such as the Impact 737r action. It is 26", heavy contour fitted with an APA Little Bastard muzzle brake in a 1 in 7.5 twist rate. The action is glass bedded in Devcon and the barrel is free floating. The trigger is a Canjar set trigger which when set pulls at two ounces.

Attached Files:

6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Sounds like a very nice rig. That should send those high BC 115 gr Noslers real well.

7. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    tilleyman likes this.
  8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    BruceHB......

It may just be my own optical "delusion"......but, in your last pic, it seems as though the ring base cross-screw studs may have already been flexed upward somewhat.

If so....it can be fixed. Just complete dis-assembly.....a firm rubber surface......a machinist's straight-edge......leather mallet......and some VERY careful nerve.

Hope this helps.

9. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Kevin:

You're correct, the picture you referenced is an old picture where I did over tighten the screws and bent the base cross-screw studs prompting me to purchase new ones.

10. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank you, I saw this before and actually took some driver bits and made something familar.

11. BruceHB

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Starting with Berger 105 Hybrid target and Vapor Trail 105 grain BTHP, both handmade and production.