L 461 Vixen Hunter 6 PPC

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Burmman, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Burmman

Burmman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I've got some questions about my Sako L461 Vixen Hunter in 6 PPC. I have never fired this rifle and have had it for the last 6 years acquiring it from a friend that also says he has never fired it either. It came from his father whom has passed away. I had to have it because it fits and feels so great. The rifle is beautiful and I will not do it justice keeping it.

My questions are could anyone tell me any info on this rifle. I am going to be putting it up for sale and would like to know what to ask for such a great firearm. I have the rifle in excellent condition and the factory hang tag with the information on it. Also have the Sako original extra high scope mounts and a set of Lee dies and 50 rds of loaded ammo. If anyone could help me with an idea of what I should ask for it please help me. I can take more pics if needed or wanted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c-monkey

c-monkey Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I recently sold the same model in 6PPC on Gunbroker. Mine had been shot, but was in good shape. I started bidding at $950 and it sold for roughly $1200.

3. Burmman

Burmman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you for the information.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Getting mixed messages from your post! Sako used the L461 moniker internally even after the change to the AI stamping, so the L461 on the hang tag may or may not match the actual stamping on the action. The 185xxx serial number says it "should" be stamped AI. The "hunter" model also is an AI variant, plus the butt pad & rear bolt shroud also tell me it is an AI stamped rifle. My guess is your rifle was made in the late 80's. From what little factory data we have, there is mention of a L461PPC group of rifles made from 1987 to 1991 whose serial numbers are commingled with the regular L461's or AI's, as they were probably stamped (183762 to 191245). The ring box indicating the S491/M591 action tells us they were made in 1992 or after & are not "original" to the rifle, but I see them sell for $100-$150. The reloading dies, the boxes of ammo & the fired cases would indicate the rifle has been fired in the past & I wouldn't expect them to add to the sale price, but they should help you sell it. Check the gun auction/sale sites for comparables. Nice piece! Good Luck!

5. Burmman

Burmman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thank you very much for the info. The 8 empty cases are new unprimed brass that was also given to me when I got the rifle. As far as I know it hasn't been fired.

6. Burmman

Burmman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I've had a few people ask for more pics showing the rifle better. I attempted to take some more a little while ago. I am using a cell phone so please bear with me. The pics are as the rifle came out of the safe. I have not wiped it down, oiled or cleaned in any way. I searched all over trying to find any dings,dents or scratches and can not find any. I don't have a bore scope but looking down it there are no imperfections and the rifling is strong ad as it should be. The brass is all Sako brass also.

Here is a google album I created with the photos.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6SjC4K6BaHYsGf8C8

7. Burmman

Burmman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I've been talking with a few guys from the forum here and they have been helping me with this. I have come to a price after seeing what is online such as GB and a few other places. I understand that GB anyone can ask anything and it only matters if it sells. So that being said I would like $1500 shipped to your FFL with everything I have for it.

This morning I also found 72 pieces of new primed Norma brass that looks to of had the necks turned. I did not turn them down nor do I know what they have been turned down to. I bought these shortly after getting the rifle from another forum. These will also be included.

20181005_093615.jpg 20181005_093624.jpg

8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I'm your huckleberry. I've come to the realization that I'll never find one of these with iron sights, so let's do this. I'll see you in personal messages.

dgeesaman likes this.
  9. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I bought a sporter A1 in 6PPC about two years ago. If it had been shot, it was very little. It was in pristine condition. I don’t remember what I paid for it but I believe it was about $1300.

10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Deal with confidence!

Thanks!

Gary