L46 L-46 in 7x33

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Olli, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    What do you think?? P_20201210_113516.jpg P_20201210_113618.jpg P_20201210_113647.jpg Should I try it out or is it too early for Christmas?

2. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Try it out!

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It looks great and I'd be proud to own it, but be aware that it is probably refinished. The bluing and wood finish work look to be excellent. However, the bolt handle would have originally been blue.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I agree with stonecreek, my first thought when I saw the photo was it had been refinished. The lack of blue & the wear on the knob knurling seem to indicate that, as well as the appearance of the stock finish. Considering the scarcity of of the 7x33 here in the US, it would still be a highly sought after piece & any Sako collector would like to own it. Thanks for sharing.

5. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Yep, and I'm not sure but shouldn't bolt handle be straight.. this one have slight curve in it. But serials are matching and I think it looks better than worn original bluing. Barrel and rifling seems to bee in good shape. I can't wait to get to the range or bush. We have bird hunting season (capercaillie and black grouse) coming after new year so this should do well with the nordicspitz.

I wonder how many model 4 have been made with barrel band?

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Perfect! Capercaillie hunting was the main purpose that the 7x33 was promoted for when it was introduced (along with taking fur seal pups on the ice, but we don't speak very loudly of such things these days.)

Turkeys are perhaps the New World counterpart to capercaillie. I haven't yet been able to take one with my 7x33 but doing so is on my bucket list.

Olli likes this.
  7. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Nice rifle. The bolt is bent to clear the ocular lense of a scope that was probably once mountd to the rifle. Maybe it was then they decided to polished the bolt handle. The rest could be orginal.
    Does the magazine have the spacer in it? Just wondering why you think it is a type 4.

8. mlesh

mlesh Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    What year did sako stop making the l46 in 7x33?? I noticed in the the last photo, this gun has a new style bolt release.

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    A few were made as late as the mid-1960's on L46 actions, well after the L461 had superseded the L46 in 1961.

10. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    A beautiful rifle, even with a refinished stock and other minor customizing. . And being in Finland, you can even buy factory ammo for it!

11. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Bending the bolt for scope clearance is one option but early l46's should have "curved bolt handle" and maybe this one got installed older style bolt. Or some random parts fitted together by some village gunsmith... What I have read, type 3 and 4 were both in production during 1951-56. I think this is type 4 because safety is on the right, magazine have the spacer and serial number is in the type 4 range.

They discontinued l46 on year 1964 but I don't know did they make any 7x33 anymore.

12. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    It would be the first model 4 that I've seen with the barrel band. Congrats! that's a good one.

DeerGoose

13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    A BIG THUMBS UP ON THAT ONE!!

14. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    if you did try it out, how did it go ? the sako boxes have factory rnds in them ? down here in australia all the new ammo cases & projectiles came in this style box.
    susanna

15. Olli

Olli Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I haven't tried it yet. They closed local shooting range (corona) and I have been occupied with work so it has been a bit difficult to get on my typical hunting grounds. Ammo is "fresh" from the factory. I'll post some pics how it shoots when I have something to show.