L46 L-46 in 7X33

Discussion in 'Heads Up!' started by arthur36, Nov 10, 2019.

1. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Well done Rick. I have no problem when prices go up. Now comes the challenge, getting Ammo. Good luck on that side. May the force be with you.

2. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    How many people DON’T have a 7X33? I was always of the belief it is better to start at the bottom and work your way up. I will get something I want with a little less condition rather than wait for the pristine gun I may ultimately end up with.

That philosophy has worked fine for me and I realized that I am collecting for me and not someone else...

susanna and L61R like this.
  3. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Rick, that is exactly how I see it and how I collect.

Until fairly recently, Sako was always considered as a tool more than a collectible, over here in Scandinavia.
    And people bought them for their accuracy and quality and kept them, and used them for a long time, which means they often had a very hard life.
    Due to this it is very hard to find older Sakos in pristine condition. They do surface on occasion but not that often.

So we are left to pick up the rarer ones in whatever condition they are in. In my mind, it’s always better to own and enjoy a used one than not having one at all. Even though I would pick the better one if at all possible.

I remember a conversation we had on the forum some years ago, where a member said that used rifle weren’t collectible or something to that effect.

I couldn’t disagree more!

We all collect for our own reasons and my take on my own collecting is to find out and document all the technical improvements for the various models I like, the L46 and P models as two good examples. But yes, given the choice, I would always pick the better one if not overpriced.

I’ll see if I can find a 7x33 magazine for you!

Jim

PS

Below some pics of some of my former collectibles, now residing Down Under.

DS

CD48203A-2B8E-43B9-B45C-59476F142E30.jpeg F02C6E53-3FEC-4544-96F9-CF72B90214AC.jpeg B9DC2AF8-D198-4831-A801-33320A35CCBF.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 7:21 AM
  4. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I hope to come across at least one or maybe two of those beauties one day Jim, I particularly like that L57 deluxe you had your friend refinish for you.

Cheers,

Aaron

L61R likes this.
  5. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    That’s also a very interesting rear sight on the bottom L46, the one just above your big toe :D

L61R likes this.
  6. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Sasquatch is my middle name!;) Hence the foot!:D

Yeah, someone probably made an “improvement” to the rear sight base and installed a semi-adjustable rear sight.

Most likely after someone dismantled and lost the original one when installing a scope.

I have seen numerous Sakos with missing rear sights but not many like this one.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    deersako likes this.
  7. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Thanks! Yeah, that one is one I miss very much! I don’t regret selling most of the rifles I’ve sold but that one I do!

L57’s are very hard to find over here and I guess not many were sold here. I’ve seen no more than perhaps 10 or so over all the years I’ve been interested in Sakos.
    And the Deluxe versions are EXTREMELY hard to find so that was a bad move.

Jim

8. deersako

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yes Jim, that one, particularly being in .308 is a very hard find.

L61R likes this.
  9. L61R

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    deersako likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Right! There were far fewer .308's than .243's made. It would take quite a while, but sometime that a streak of bad weather hits and there's little else to do I'm going to go through the inspection records of the 10,000 or so L57's to see just how many Deluxe .308's came out of the factory. I'm guessing that it is barely into three figures.

deersako likes this.
  11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    By the way, of the 10,000 or so L57 serial numbers, perhaps nearly half of them were actions-only sold to companies like Colt, Wards, and individual gunsmiths on which proprietary or custom rifles were built. So, the total number of L57 Sako rifles ever made is probably considerably less than 10,000.

12. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Guys

Many Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate Jim trying to find a mag for me. I did come up with 20 rounds of brass. Also found dies way down under. I'm going to see if the shop that has them can send to me here in Florida. Will let the forum know how I make out.

As for shooting and collectability here is my two cents worth. There are rifles that I shoot and others that are safe queens. The 7x33 will probably be a queen at least for a while until I can round up some reloading components for it. But consider this. I just lucked out and got my mitts on a Ruger No. 1 in Krag. That rifle is only one of two that didn't go to Cabella's for sale back when. They ordered 100 but only 98 were delivered by Lipsey. No. 1's in Krag never come up for sale but No. 3 rifles are relatively common in the market place. So the Krag will be a queen as will my No. 1 in 38-55. Lucked out and got that one NIB.

So when it comes to collecting we all have our own opinions and standards. Some shoot everything because they consider it a waste just to keep a fine rifle collectible or not locked up in the safe. Others like me don't have an issue with safe queens but I will say this. When I have a guest that appreciates firearms, I love to see their eyes light up when I show them some of my finer rare rifles. Especially when they are virtually unknown or so rare that just having them in my collection would make the Smithsonian green with envy.

I'll post some pics of the 7x33 when it arrives and I do owe the forum pics pf my PPC's and other stuff that has come my way over the past year.

For what its worth.

rick

FLT likes this.
  13. FLT

FLT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Well said Sir , People should in my opinion enjoy their hobbies. It would seem that you enjoy your collection and in the end that’s the important part. Congratulations on finding a rare addition to outstanding group of Sako rifles.

14. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Many thanks. An l46 25-20 is pretty much all that remains on the I wanna have list. But ya never know what will come up next.

rick

15. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I know a guy that has several 25-20’s I am hoping he will turn one loose soon...

16. ricksengines

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OK folks. CH4D has the die set and shell holder in stock for the 7x33. $105 for the dies, shell holder is around $20. I ordered a set and they were shipped today.

rick