L46 L-46 in 7X33

Discussion in 'Heads Up!' started by arthur36, Nov 10, 2019.

1. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Amoskeag Auction # 124 has a number of Sako's listed. One or two have custom wood, the remainder are stock.
    Notable, in the online only portion of the auction, is lot #2587, a magazine fed L-46 chambered in 7X33. Per the description, it does have a few issues, would probably make a nice project for someone.

Disclaimer: None of the items listed in this auction are mine. I am not an employee of, nor agent for, Amoskeag auction company, but its local and I have nothing better to do this morning.

deergoose likes this.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    thanks for the tips....I've never bought anything from that auction company. I'll check it out. Good luck !

DeerGoose

3. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Well . . . Good news . . . It sold for $2750 cracked stock and all. Then Add 550 buyers tax

Now will the proud owner please stand up?

susanna likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As has been observed previously, the price distance between the more common Sako models and the scarce or rare ones continues to increase. This is an indication that a genuine collector's market is developing for Sakos.

FLT likes this.
  5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    I don`t know the proud owner, but put in a couple of bids a day, until I noticed in red that the stock had been refinished. Awhile back someone posted pictures of a L-46 in 22 Hornet that the stock had the same look ,but there was no mention of the stock being refinished and I thought that it looked good. Wayne

6. FLT

FLT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I absolutely hate that Sakos are moving into the collector category. I’m just happy that I bought several back when they were just fine hunting rifles, made to be used and enjoyed.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's just the very rare, highly sought after ones that are bringing serious money. The more common "hunting" type Sakos have not been showing an increase in prices. In fact, they have become cheaper in some instances. You just have to be patient & let some sellers realize that their pet little Vixen is not collector grade & they need to reduce their price about 50%.

FLT likes this.
  8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Amen. I sold a nice, but entirely ordinary, Vixen a few months ago and I routinely see ones just like it on Gunbroker with a minimum bid several hundred higher than what I took. And I actually made a couple of bucks on the Vixen. The guns don't attract any bids. I see the same thing on gun show tables - lots and lots of highly overpriced guns that aren't changing hands. Brings to mind the old gun show saying, "He must really love that gun; at that price he'll have it for a long time."

9. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire

It wasn't me!

10. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Hum. . . . I think you might reconsider the title of this web site. I have never seen the words hunting rifles used in the title.

11. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    My opinion is exposure is the factor. Amoskeag’s Auction’s are becoming well known nationally.

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    We've strongly considered that because the interest in Sakos is very broad -- not only "collecting", but obviously hunting, target shooting, and simply "pride of ownership" even if the Sako or Sakos are not in the "collectible" category. Lots of people follow the forum who don't even own a Sako but may harbor ambition to do so. We just haven't come up with a more descriptive name for the forum than "Sako Collectors Club", but if anyone has a good suggestion please say so.

FLT likes this.
  13. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The title/name is just fine. Please leave it be. People collect hunting rifles just as much as they collect rare and more difficult to locate specimens. Collectors collect what they collect. Sometimes it’s fairly ordinary, sometimes not. If fairly ordinarily Sakos are considered ordinarily, then fine with me. I’ll keep collecting them, it’s far better in my opinion than collecting run of the mill “name the brand” firearms, all day, everyday.

deergoose and FLT like this.
  14. FLT

FLT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I think most folks would consider some of my Sakos as collectibles, but I shoot and enjoy them. The fact that they are valuable matters very little to me as they aren’t for sale. I own them strictly because they are quality made and accurate. The fact they Sakos are becoming collectible means that many folks won’t be able to afford them and the ones that can won’t shoot them for fear of reducing there value. In my none professional opinion it’s a shame for such fine rifles to set in a gun safe unused.

Sean Hodges and sws1213 like this.
  15. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    OK Everybody, Stand Down.

I got it. Paying cash reduced the buyers fee to 15% and no 3% cc fee. I wanted one for my Sako rifle collection and even though the stock was repaired and refinished I think it was worth the money. Check out the rifle I bid on back a few years ago. It had a lot more problems and this one appears to be in better condition. That rifle sold on Proxibid for almost $2300. As I remember the buyers fee was over 20% on that one.

I'll post some detailed pics when I get it. Probably in a few weeks as my check has to clear and the rifle has to be shipped and transferred.

If any of my Sako collector friends has a 7x33 mag they would consider selling I would like one for the rifle. The mag that is coming with the rifle is unmarked but I'm convinced that it is authentic because Sako sent out some with out marked mags.

One final note, how many are known to be in the US? Stone probably has the numbers so if he can shed some light on this I would appreciate it very much.

And guys don't be too critical of the price I paid. I always said show me another one. So if you collect as I do then when something like this comes up you have to reach down deep if you are a serious collector.

rick

16. FLT

FLT Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I figure a man knows what he’s willing to pay for something he wants. In the end only your opinion of its value matters , everyone else is Monday morning quarterbacking. Congratulations on your new rifle.

deergoose, susanna and Sean Hodges like this.
  17. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Completely agree

18. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Congratulations on owning a 7x33, Rick!

We have no idea how many of them ended up in the U.S. because that caliber, along with the .25-20, was never commercially imported. I suppose the folks at Firearms International didn't figure there was enough market for either an "obsolete" American cartridge or an obscure European proprietary cartridge to import any L46's in those calibers.

Anyway, there is no record of how many 7x33's may be in the U.S. since all would have been imported by individuals plus a few might have been imported as used guns by companies like Simpson's or others.

L61R likes this.
  19. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks Stone. I admit that I have wanted one to add to my collection for years. When this one came up I overlooked the defects as they appeared to be minor given that the stock was repaired and the refinish job looked acceptable.

Seems to me that I saw an estimate of the number of 7x33 in the US in another older post but I can't seem to locate that one. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post a link to it.

rick

L61R likes this.
  20. pow

pow Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    So don’t be shy. Please tell us all about your collectable Sakos.