Short Actions Just given a L461 in .222. Looking for info about it.

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Curt Bloom, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Curt Bloom

Curt Bloom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I’m pretty new to Sakos. I was just given a L461 in .222 that spent 90% of its life in storage. It’s a really sweet gun. As far as he knows, there’s only been about 50 rounds shot through it and as far as I can tell, it’s in really great shape. I’m just looking for some info on it, maybe a year it was built and a rough value. Thank you.

Attached Files:

ricksengines and icebear like this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Its configuration and serial number are consistent with the late 1970's just prior to when Sako re-labeled the L461 as the A-I. It should be a great shooter. I've never seen a Sako .222 that wasn't knife-edge accurate. I see it has a Leupold scope mounted in factory Sako rings. Can't do much better than that.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Looks like a nice one. I'd say it was your lucky day.

dgeesaman likes this.
  4. rjc58

rjc58 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Quite nice, beats a poke in the eye...

5. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    You are lucky, that’s a great gun, enjoy.

6. dfehrenb

dfehrenb Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Very nice 222. That gun and scope combo should be very accurate.

7. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sako Lovers,

My L461 in .222 Rem. calibre { not HB } made in 1967 with S type trigger guard/ release is a most fabulous rifle. Will the barrel be slimmer on mine than the above rifle owned by Curt? and what other differences will my rifle have compared to Curt's? - stock chequering perhaps! Also was the L461 launched in 1961 or 1962?

Thanks & Stay Safe

Blackjack

8. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Although designed and designated in 1961, it appears that the first commercially-produced L461's were inspected and shipped in March of 1962.

In all likelihood your barrel will be the slimmer one. Sako generally started using the beefier sporter barrels sometime in 1968 (of course, there was some period in which both profiles were being assembled.)

Not only does your rifle have the "s" floorplate release, the floorplate will have a square tang end whereas this later rifle will have a rounded tang.

The checkering pattern on your forearm should have two points on each end rather than the three points of the rifle in the photos in this thread.

Yours would have been originally equipped with fixed sling swivels rather than quick detachable studs.

Yours might have the multi-groove barrel rather than just six or eight grooves, but those were usually earlier. The same is true of the "long extractor", which might show up on your rifle, but is probably found on earlier rifles.

Yours would have been equipped with a solder-on front sight; if it was made to sell in Europe it probably also came with a rear open sight.

Finally, the stock contour on yours would also be a bit slimmer. Once you've handled a few earlier vs. later L-series rifles you can feel the difference in the pistol grip diameter and identify which it is blindfolded.

These are all of the differences I can think of offhand. The main similarity is that either will usually shoot within a half-inch of where it is aimed at 100 yards.

FLT and douglastwo like this.
  9. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Thanks Steve,
    A very informative read, which I enjoyed very much! When were the last " Bofors Steel " barrels used on Vixens, Foresters & Finbears? Thanks.
    Blackjack

10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I can't tell you when the last of them were used since Sako continued to put them on actions as long as some were in their inventory. Sometimes "obsolete" Sako parts would show up several years after a different part replacing it had been put into production. However, the first non-Bofors-marked barrels came in 1968. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the factory records which denotes whether a rifle had a Bofors-marked barrel or not.