Just Before the Mayhem

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by sraaw, Jul 8, 2018.

1. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I recently had an opportunity to spend a few days out at a cattle station I hunt a couple of times a year. We mostly chase chital deer (females for meat/skins) and it’s not uncommon to encounter pigs as we travel around the property.

I arrived before the others on the Friday afternoon, so after setting up camp, I decided to do a run out to the furthest dam, to see what was around before they arrived.

On approaching the dam I stopped the Ute around 500m out to have a look through the binos. Straight away I spotted two pigs feeding close to the water, on my side of the dam.

With a steady breeze in my face, I decided to leave the car where it was and approach straight in on foot. As I came closer I could see more pigs feeding and rooting around in the same general area. By the time I was 100m out I counted around 20 pigs ranging from young uns, and several decent sized pigs in the mob.

Due to the dry weather (drought) the cattle are used to being fed, and are quite inquisitive when humans are about. So much so that around 30 or so yearlings were drawn to me as I made my approach on the pigs. It was quite frustrating, standing in full view around 90m away from the pigs, futily waving my arms trying to scare the cattle away, so they wouldn’t draw the pigs attention to my approach.

Luckily there was a fence around 40m from the dam, which held the cattle back as I made my final approach. By this time there were two mid sized pigs, who had moved off from the main mob, and were feeding round 20m to my right, with the main mob, still dispersed in front of me, ranging from 30 to 35m away.

[​IMG]

I continued carefully making my way in towards a fallen gum tree that I had decided would be where I would shoot from. By this stage I was only moving when the closest pigs were behind bushes or trees, to help disguise my approach.

Once I was settled in behind the log I could see one good-sized boar, straight in front of me, but I knew there were more pigs to my left that were obscured by some lignum bushes, so could not be sure he was the largest.

By now I was well-settled and ready to start shooting, however, at the last moment, remembered my phone was in my pocket, so pulled it out and took a few snaps of the scene in front of me.

The young boar dropped where he stood, and all hell broke loose as pigs went in all directions. Next shot took a good-sized sow, as she went to my left with most of the mob, who quickly disappeared into some long grass. I could make out the back line of the odd animal as they angled away to my left, but soon realized they would loose the cover of the grass if they continued on their present line.

Sure enough a large boar was the first to reappear a few seconds later, going at full tilt, at around 120m. A quick shot, aimed a little under a body’s length in front of his snout, took his legs out from under him.

The young boar- [​IMG]
    20180608_163840.jpeg

The old man-
    20180608_170144.jpeg
    [​IMG]

With his right ear showing damage sustained from previous encounters with dogs or other boars. I also found that he had lost his right eye at some stage as well.

This was one of those rare occasions when everything (animals and wind) cooperates and things just seem to go your way. It’s even sweeter when it all comes together when you have your favorite Sako in your hands.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    susanna, Unclekax, gowyo and 2 others like this.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Good times sraaw, can you tell us about that wonderful looking rifle please mate ?

3. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Great stuff sraaw. He is a big looking bruiser! Love the carbine too.

4. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    DeerSako, The rifle is a Bofors .308Win that the factory records say was made in Oct 1968. I have a VX III 2.5-8 Leupold mounted in Sako lows. Sounds like it's just like the one Topgear used in his thread earlier today.
    Hands down, it's my favourite hunting rifle.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thanks sraaw, I just couldn’t quite make it out to be an L57 or L579 in the pics and the chambering, cheers.
    Easy to see why it’s a favourite.

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That has to be one of the last made with the Bofors-stamped barrel. The stamp was dropped (as best we can determine) sometime in mid-1968, but Sako continued to use the stamped barrels on hand until the supply was exhausted.

Great gun and great hunt!

7. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    sraaw. Enjoyed your hunt almost as much as if I were there. I used to to hunt feral hogs among the Tannoak groves of the Oregon coast range many decades ago. and this was a great reminder of the good old days before the Tannoak trees were harvested for paper mills. Very good story and enjoyable pictures. We always enjoyed the feral hog meat and seldom found a boar that was not usable. Some of them did grow to more than 500#. Sakojim.

8. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Stonecreek,
    Yes that seems to be the case, as it has a plunger floor plate release and no pistol grip cap. It does of course have the rounded forend that many seem to prefer on the manlichers.
    So with the Bofors marked barrel it might be termed a transition rifle, of sorts.