• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ithaca LSA-65 270

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I just bought listed above with bofors barrel stamped on it the guy wanted 335 but talked him down to 250 with a 3x9 simmons csope and rings just wanting what year it was manufactured ser#650-32xxx i did not shoot it yet but i heard these guns are tack drivers the gun is i would say 90-95%

Thief
face-wink.png

bluecat -

Really don't know how the Ithaca rifles were numbered. However, the 650 may refer to to LSA-65, and be Ithaca's add-on. The remaining 32xxx might fit into Sako's L-61 sequence for about late 67 or early 68 production. Would be toward the end of the Bofors window... Is the s/n stamped on the receiver like a Sako? Any difference in the size or font of the 650 and the 32xxx?

Dick

At the time that Tikka was producing the rifles for Ithaca, Tikka was a totally different company not connected with Sako. That merger occured many years later. There would be no correlation between the Tikka (Ithaca) SN of that era and Sako SNs.

The LSA-65 was preceded by the LSA-55. The Ithaca LSA is not listed in the 1968 edition of Shooter's Bible, but is in the 1972 edition (I do not have the 69, 70 or 71 editions). The 1972 and 1973 Shooter's Bibles list the gun as "LSA-55", while the 1974 Shooter's Bible shows an "LSA-65". I'm not sure what the difference in the two was supposed to be. Curiously, in the 1978 Shooter's Bible, both the LSA-55 and LSA-65 are listed, with the 55 being shown for short calibers and the 65 shown for long calibers. Ithaca also has a BSA-produced rifle called the CF-2 in that edition. Centerfire Ithaca rifles are entirely absent from the 1979 edition. Remembering that each edition is actually published in the preceding year, perhaps this will clue you into the age of your rifle.

Interestingly, Ithaca was also handling Perazzi shotguns at that time. A few years later, Tikka began distributing guns under its own name in the U.S. How and whether they differed in the actions and appointments from the Ithaca-branded guns I'm unaware.

I hope the "guy" you bought it from wasn't a little old widow lady. Shame on you!
face-crying.png

thanks so much maybe i got a generic sako and here all along i thought i made a good deal on a oddball sako still learning the gun trade thanks eveybody

Bluecat- They may be considered the "red headed stepchild" to some but those of us that own and shoot them know how good they really are. You don't have to consider what you bought as a mistake . It just isn't. You got a great deal on a great rifle. - Mike

Everyone that i have talked to on this board along with many other forums also is so understanding and very sympathetic to all of we talk to and i want to thank everybody for the knowledge that has been given to me once again thank you p.s thank you for the pm you sent me misako i figured it was not a hunting grade stock thats what i tried to explain to the wife so all is still good at the home front

Minus the Simmons and rings, you basically bought an old time Tikka .270 for less than $200 bucks, and that's a great deal. Please let us know how the Tikka shoots. According to Arma Fennica vol. 1, your rifle was made in 1976. The LSA-55s and 65s were made in standard and deluxe models. Which model do you have ? And don't lose or damage the magazine, they are next to impossible to find.

DeerGoose

did you ever watch nancy grace on cnn she always says thats a good ? sorry i had to say that my wife is infactuated over that news show and i should not make fun of the lady but getting back to you how can you tell on that model by the stock? first ithaca rifle i ever owned thanks for the info on the gun

so then would that basically be a sako as sako bought out tikka way back or no just asking so i know how much to insure it for just in case something dredfull happens god forbid

No, it is not a Sako (even though Sako and Tikka later merged). However, the Tikka is a VERY well regarded rifle which shares a lot of the Finnish "genetics" with Sakos. They both have integral ring bases (though not interchangeable) and both are made using excellent metallurgy. I would rate it above most American-made rifles. You would have done fine at twice the price!

The deluxe model's stock will have a rosewood grip cap and foreend tip. That is the biggest giveaway. The standard model will be just a plain checkered stock. If you can, please post some pics, we would like to see your rifle.

DeerGoose

when i get back the camera from the daughter i will figure it out she is pic crazy with the grand kid oh yeah it is a standard rifle thanks

The Tikka M55/Ithaca LSA-55 is a short action and the Tikka M65/Ithaca LSA-65 is a long action. I've owned a handful of each...very nice rifles and very well made.

A couple years ago I had an M65 Deluxe in the factory box, it had a hang tag dated 1985 and both Sako and Tikka logos on the box. I have pics of the rifle but I didn't take a pic of the box end....:-(

I have a LSA-65, and from the conversation, it must be the deluxe model with rosewood caps. I bought scope mounts and rings for it and could never get it scoped in. The windage was so far off, that I could not adust enough to scope in. Has anyone had this problem? What are my options to correct? What would be a good selling price for the gun? Any advice would be very helpful! Thank you!

chett,

Who's rings are those? I can not seem to tell from the picture.

Depending on the rings, you should be able to windage adjusted properly to bring the scope in alignment. If you are unable to do it with those rings, I would get set of the older Medium rings. They are very adjustable. I would also recommend that you use a 1" steel rod to align with your barrel before you mount the scope. This will get you real close and ready for the boresighting. If you do not have the resources to do this, take to your local gun shop and pay the $35 (going rate around here in SW PA) to have them do it for you.

That is a nice gun that you have. It is worth keeping. Once you get it dialed in, you will not give it up for any amount of money. In reference to value, I have see people at the local gun shows asking around $750 for the LSA65 deluxe models but I have never seen one sell at those prices.

Emmerth,

Thank you for all your help. I really like the gun, just got discouraged when I couldn't get it scope in. I will buy the Medium rings and give it another go! I can't remember the style of mounts and rings that I had bought last week, but they have one screw on one side of the ring that tightens it down on base. So windage adjustment is very little. I'll will keep you posted on how it turns out... Thanks again......cw

Emmerth, sorry it's taken so long to respond... It turns out that the rings that I had bought were mis-machined and the gun shop replaced them and bored sighted the gun with new rings with no problems.... The gun shoot real good... I was hoping to shoot 100 gr bullets for varmints with imr 4064 powder, but the gun doesn't like the load much... It shoots really good with 130gr bullets with imr 4350.. Do you have any advice..... Thank you...cw

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this site. Looks like some great information here. This thread is of interest to me,because on gunbroker there is a standard lsa-55-.243w/ hi-lux 3x9. The person wants $650 for auction, but think it is worth$350-450. Am i off base?

Hey all. New to the forum thanks for the good info. Found the serial number lookup for the LSA models

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back