• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Is this an original Finnwolf stock?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pcunder

Guys,

I have a 308 Finnwolf that I'm considering selling but it came up as to whether the stock was original or not.
It's got kind of an ambidextrous (no MC or cheek piece) European look and a satin sheen that appears to be oil finished.

Anyone with the knowledge or experience on this these, please feel free to weigh in with your opinions/insights. I've got plenty more pics if they are needed...

It's S/N 65xx with the flat mag and without the BOFORS marking.

Also, in the last pic, are the scope mounting blocks/wedges original Sako...?

IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_1003.JPG

Thanks,

Phil

I can't be certain about the finish itself, which could be original, or could have been rubbed with rottenstone to decrease the shine, or could be completely refinished. However, the stock is factory, as are the tapered dovetail bases which were screwed on and not integral on the VL-63.

Finwolf stocks came in at least three varieties: No Monte Carlo like yours, Monte Carlo with RH cheekpiece, and Monte Carlo with LH cheekpiece. I think there may have also been an ambidextrous model with a Monte Carlo and no cheekpiece, but am not certain of it.

Lots of early Sakos came with a non-Monte Carlo stock but with a cheekpiece, however I'm not certain I've ever seen this configuration in a Finnwolf.

- Stone is right on. You have a factory "AMBI" stock that has been refinished. Although they made left handed monte stocks the safeties were still right handed. Included pictures of my AMBI - your gun is only the 3rd one I have seen with the AMBI stock.

Attachments

• P1130360.jpg
    P1130360.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 27
  • P1130347.jpg
    P1130347.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Agree with all of the above. My Finnwolf also had the ambi stock, if I remember correctly. That was 20 years ago and, unfortunately, I don't have pictures to confirm. The scope mounts are highly desirable, as there are a lot of Finnwolfs out there without them and I have never seen a pair for sale separately. Fortunately, the Finnwolf can use mounts made for the similar Winchester model 88.

OK, great. Thanks guys.. So it looks like the wood/stock is original as well as the scope mounts.

So it is a fact that the stock has been refinished?

Did Sako ONLY make glossy stocks back in the 60s/70s? I know this WAS the style for high-end rifles like Browning, Weatherby, et al...
(I'm not sure when this was made..about 1/2 way thru production.)

Without being a wood expert, is there any way to be certain on the finish?
I guess I need to Google Rottenstone...

Phil

Yes it has been refinished
As icebear has said parts are hard to come by, so when I see a finnwolf part - I buy it - just to be certain I can repair mine should something happen.
Good luck

Based on the wear on the checkering, the dark gunk built up in it, & the dings in the side of the buttplate, not to mention the age of the rifle, I would expect to see a few dings or handling marks on the wood as well. From what I see in the pics the wood is blemish free, so I tend to think it has been refinished. Just my guess based on what little I could glean from the pics. From what I can see the pores have been nicely filled, which usually means a pro did it. I wouldn't think, if it was indeed refinished, that value would be affected much, if at all. Nice rifle!!!

OK, great. Thanks guys.. So it looks like the wood/stock is original as well as the scope mounts.

So it is a fact that the stock has been refinished?

Did Sako ONLY make glossy stocks back in the 60s/70s? I know this WAS the style for high-end rifles like Browning, Weatherby, et al...
(I'm not sure when this was made..about 1/2 way thru production.)

Without being a wood expert, is there any way to be certain on the finish?
I guess I need to Google Rottenstone...

Phil

Rottenstone is a mildly abrasive powder used to smooth out fine finishes. You can look it up in Brownell's catalog online.

Hard to tell by a picture and I realise this gun is in the US, but that looks to me like the typical oil finished Sako stock that we see here in Australia.

Hey guys!

The ambidexter-stocks are fairly common over here in Sweden. Perhaps not common but they pop up every now and then.

Just my 2 cents of input.

Have a great weeekend y’all!

Jim

I think it is original but possibly stripped of glossy finish I just purchased Finnwolf 4000 serial number range and it has that same stock but glossy.My rifle appears to be unfired or fired very little.I'll be posting pics this weekend. It is quite unlike the stocks on my other Finnwolfs which have Monte Carlo type stocks.

I agree that the bluing looks odd. Could be a refinish or it could be that there's something smeared on it that's causing it to reflect light in a funny way. Hard to tell from the photo.

Thanks for the input.
I agree that; stock finish is possibly altered to lower the sheen. Hope not. but I like it. Guess I'll examine under butt plate, barrel channel, action. I'll see if oil soaks in.
I disagree that; blue is redone. Action is going plum like scope blocks, barrel looks just like every non-deluxe I've seen from that era. I did wipe it with a wet silicon rag.

Hey, is this peep sight correct for this Finnwolf (65xx)? It's the latest type I think

Can anyone tell me WHEN this thing was made?... My best guess is 1968 but I'd like to know for sure. It's not marked BOFORS so after '68 is most likely.
( I made a home-made chart dividing the #of Wolf rifles by the # of years produced getting the average produced each year. From there, I estimate it was made in 6th year of production.)

Thanks guys...

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back