• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Is Sako a rebadged Beretta?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Webphut

I have a question.
Is Sako a rebadged Beretta? I ask because the gunsmith I use mentioned that they are not like the older Sako's anymore. He mentioned the work is more like technician work than gunsmith work when you accurize them. I checked out Berettas website only to find no bolt action rifles.

Beretta purchased controlling interest in Sako several years ago (and also Tikka, which is now combined with Sako). Manufacturing techniques have certainly changed over the years, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the ownership of the company.

To confuse matters a bit, however, back in the 1980's (long before Beretta had an ownership interest in Sako) Beretta purchased customized A-series actions from Sako and produced Beretta-branded rifles known as the 500, 501, and 502 series. These rifles had Italian-made stocks and barrels and only the actions were Sako -- but the actions were round topped and bore Beretta, not Sako, markings. Beretta dropped the 500 series after a short while and replaced it with the Mato series using the Dakota action.

The short answer is "No"!! Sako was purchased by Beretta, so I'm sure they have a say & control over what & how Sako products are marketed, but they are not designed or made by Beretta. Beretta has never made a bolt action rifle on an action they actually designed & built that I am aware of. In fact many of Beretta's bolt actions in the past were built on the old Sako actions. So, I'm not sure how one would think a Sako is a "rebadged" Beretta. Past history tells us the opposite is true. The newer Sako Model 85's are the short bolt throw, 3 front lug bolt with a detachable box magazine of "modern" design. Whether they are an improvement over the older 2 front lug, 90* throw is debatable for sure. I have shot & handled both the 75 & the 85 and they don't seem to have the character or attraction, for me at least, as the older L & A series rifles. They are, however, built to a high standard with regard to materials, workmanship, & cosmetic appearance. Not sure what your smith meant by "the work is more like technician work than gunsmith work" as I've never had the need to "accurise" any of mine. There is much less hand work on all guns today as CNC machining & robots rule on an assembly line. Sorry if I have duplicated anything stonecreek said, as I was typing when he posted.

Ok, Thank you.
Yeah, I ordered the 243 model 85 varmint with the stainless. I was worried I would be having it accurized right off the bat. But if I understand you correctly, the new stuff reguardless of design changes in the past, due to the modern equipment these companies use, the rifles are that much more accurate compared to the AII and M591 models. I seen a lot on the classified ads sites, I assume these are business selling them then, not individuals. Could not figure out why so many for sale ads, but I keep hearing rave reviews. Ok then, Thank you.

Beretta has never made a bolt action rifle on an action they actually designed & built that I am aware of.
I doubt that Beretta designed it, but I guess they manufactured quite a few Carcanos, the Italian military rifle. As military bolt actions go, it was a rather undistinguished rifle that was not particularly well-regarded.

The reason I ask is because I own a 7mm Rem Mag Sako with the AV action and I love it. I also inherited a 300 Win Mag Sako with the L61R action. I love it too. That's probably why I also love/relate more with the AII and M591 actions from Sako. I went out on a limb ordering the new 85, I am a hands on guy, so diving off in the dark with no hands on experience does not go easy for me. But what you explained to me makes sense when talking about manual and cnc equipment.

So who else makes Barettas guns? I guess the title should read rebadged Sako! Lol. Lol. Thanks guys for the clarity. Kind of reminds me of mattress and bicycle industries... 4 manufacturers making 50 different companies items.

I doubt that Beretta designed it, but I guess they manufactured quite a few Carcanos, the Italian military rifle. As military bolt actions go, it was a rather undistinguished rifle that was not particularly well-regarded.
Do Carcanos count as real rifles? Just kidding!! Your memory is sharper than mine! I had completely forgot about any Italian military connection to an Italian gunmaker. Does seem odd that a centuries old gun company (i believe the oldest in the world) never had it's own bolt action design.

Ok, Thank you.
Yeah, I ordered the 243 model 85 varmint with the stainless. I was worried I would be having it accurized right off the bat. But if I understand you correctly, the new stuff reguardless of design changes in the past, due to the modern equipment these companies use, the rifles are that much more accurate compared to the AII and M591 models. I seen a lot on the classified ads sites, I assume these are business selling them then, not individuals. Could not figure out why so many for sale ads, but I keep hearing rave reviews. Ok then, Thank you.

Webphut
Great choice and calibre
Got 2 stainless 85 varmints in 243 myself one laminated one walnut ....there was no need for accurizing on either ,both easily shoot to moa guarantee with factory ammo
Both great rifles

As for the 243 it's nickname over here is the Pope....it can do everything

Cheers Mark

Thank you for the input. I returned the rifle yesterday and bought a Sako AII Varmint in 243 Win. this morning off Gun broker. I paid $500 less than a new 85, but I was worried I was not going to find another like it. It's my favorite action style by Sako and I could not pass it up. I spoke to the guy selling it and turns out it has never been shot. Was bought and added to a collection, but was never shot. He ships it to my FFL guy tomorrow. I am so excited. My first Sako was my AV in 7MM R.E.M. mag with a Nate Bishop Turkish walnut stock. I also have a 6 PPC USA that was rebarreled in 6PPC with 1.250" straight bull barrel. It is a brand new barrel, I'm having it reamed to no turn .274" at the moment, because with four kids, kind of tight on time to sit and turn necks. I have a L61R in 300 Win Mag that I am thinking of converting to 26 Nosler. My body can not take the recoil anymore and it's been told to me that 26 Nosler is less recoil than 300 Win Mag. I guess I will see.

Back