Short Actions Is it possible to convert a L461 SS to a repeater?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by 71Scamp, Sep 2, 2020.

1. 71Scamp

71Scamp Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Is it possible to convert a L461 single-shot to a repeater? I know that many would consider it sacrilege, but when I have a dull tool I sharpen it. It seems to be a fairly easy matter to mill the proper sized opening in the bottom of the receiver. Obtaining the proper dimensions for the opening will probably be the most difficult thing. Modifying a Howa Mini-Action aluminum bottom metal to suit the L461 shouldn't be a problem. I think it will make a nice custom VarTarg. Caliber TBD, but there are many choices. I love Sako, CZ & Howa just don't compare. I shouldn't have sold my Kimber of Oregon M84 .223. It didn't accept magazines, but hat little rifle could shoot! I've put on my asbestos clothing, so proceed with the roasting.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I have a L461 repeater in the white. If you are interested in a trade PM me.

rick

dgeesaman likes this.
  3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You can easily sell or trade your single shot action & acquire a repeater action & be money ahead. Why destroy a unique single shot action to build a repeater custom when a bunch of L46 & L461 rifles are available???? The cost to build, with the mods to the single shot, just add more to the costs than necessary. Do the math for crying out loud & don't mutilate a desirable action & end up regretting it. No way should any Howa parts be mated with a Sako. That's just insane!!!!

4. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for your input.

5. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    What paulson said. Single shot is worth more, so sell it and buy a repeater.

dgeesaman likes this.
  6. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I'm trying

sraaw likes this.
  7. lord frith

lord frith Active Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    The short and long answers are no. Nearly every gun out there is a single-shot, so messing with perfection is not getting you closer to heaven. I see a fantastic opportunity for the justifiable purchase of another Sako, and a double square bridge to boot.
    Stephen

dgeesaman likes this.
  8. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for your input.

9. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington

10. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I've let this ripen for a while so here it goes.

Since you brought it up... I am quite able to do math; National Merit Scholar, 1580 on CBs, Phi Theta Kappa, Mensa, B.S.E.E. & MBA. I apologize for the bragging but some seem to need convincing so... I'm also possessed of a good imagination and have received 10 patents since my stroke 10 years ago.

As I said, I would prefer not to cut up a pristine action. I am friends with three of the best machinists that I've ever known so getting it done is not a problem. However, it appears that I may not have a choice. I have acquired, through a trade, a NIB L461 single shot action. I understand that the SS are more prized than repeaters. I have offered to trade with two members who have offered to trade their repeaters and then changed their minds, reasons unknown or unsaid and unjudged. Their property, their decision.

I would still prefer to trade, but it seems that others aren't. I have another Sako build that I'm working on so I am being patient.

I won't describe that build here as I'm tired of being flamed by those who seem to be more interested in admiring their Sakos and second guessing others than they are in creating and shooting accurate rifles.

BTW, it's my property and my money. Therefor, I think it is up to me how I proceed.

Tomball likes this.
  11. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Would you post a pic of your L461 single-shot action.....as a couple of variations were made?

edit: Usually people want to convert the repeater L461/AI action, to a single-shot......not the other way around. Do you have access to a repeater L461 action, in order to compare the machining differences?........my old memory recalls them to be extensive.

As is.....your action would make nice 20VT, when matched to a factory Sako 22/6ppc BR stock.

Years ago, I built a 17-222 pd rifle as described above.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  12. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I appreciate the info and the cautionary note about the differences. I haven't given up on locating a repeater. I would prefer buying one as I believe the SS would make a nice piece for var/tag use.

71Scamp

13. MickTaylo

MickTaylo Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Love my L461 Single Shot
    _20200908_115442.JPG

Foxhunter223 likes this.
  14. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Well you purists will be pleased to know that I have traded my NIB L461 for a distressed barreled action repeater to a gent on this site. I will have it re-barreled to a 6mm TBD and set it up for target (&varmint) fun. I'm open to suggestions on which 6mm, there are MANY to choose from. I'm leaning towards 6x45, mainly for case availabity. I'm not looking to win any matches just to have fun.

Thx,
    Keith

15. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The maximum overall cartridge length, for the L461/AI magazine box, is approximately 2.28". Any longer, and you risk cartridge box jams when fully loaded.

Depending on the chamber freebore, and bullet seating depth......the 6x45 MAY be a bit too long. The 6x222 rem. might be a better choice.

Of course, a while back, I "mentored" Stonecreek into a nice custom Sako 6x45.......so maybe he could chime in.

Hope this helps.

16. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Thanks for the info. The 222 Rem doesn't provide the brass advantage of the 223.

17. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
  18. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
  19. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    There a SO MANY 6mm options that will 'nominally' fit in anL461, fewer in an L46. Eack has it's pluses and minuses.In trying to put most of the relevant in a single file by using search engines, I have managed to compile a 100+ page Word document! Wow! I have managed to determine the number of opinions regarding the choices. It is equal to the number or responders. :D

I think that I've narrowed down my choices:
    6x45mm = .223 magazine & bolt face, available cheap cases, light powder charges/recoil/report, good accuracy, few factory loads.
    6mm ARC = PPC bolt face, fatter cases, Factory loads, Higher velocities, Accuracy?
    240 Nosler = .223 bolt face, fatter cases. Higher velocities, Accurate, factory loads?
    Of these, at present the Hornady 6mm ARC currently provides for the widest choices in Factory loads. So if you don't reload, it may be the 'best' choice. I suspect that the 240 Nosler will soon catch up. The 6x45mm seems to be a niche cartridge popularized mostly be the ready availability of cheap brass (not a bad thing).

As it is now and always has been; No one round is the "right one" for all conditions/circumstances.

If I didn't have to have my bolt face opened up, the 6mm ARC would be my immediate choice. For expense I would select the 6x45mm. The Nosler would be the short-term/least expense option, with the hope of more readily available factory ammunition.

Twist rates?????????

No I haven't priced cambering, dies, etc. :)

20. 71Scamp

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Make that 24 Nosler. OOPS!