Internet myths (6.5x55) and misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by bjorn240, Dec 13, 2015.

1. bjorn240

bjorn240 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    One of my favorite things about growing up in Sweden and living in the US is to see the cultural influences on hunting. For instance, in Sweden, we rarely, if ever, hunt moose and deer without dogs, and in the US, hunting deer with dogs is illegal most everywhere and seen as little better than poaching.

But in any case, one of the interesting things I see is people posting about hunting practices in other places on the Internet. One common trope in the US when talking about big game rifles is that "more moose have been taken with 6.5x55 than any other caliber." This is typically used to indicate that such a caliber is appropriate for any game in the lower 48.

While I think 6.5x55 is ok for almost any game in the lower 48, I just wonder if that's true.

My great grandfather, grandfather, uncles, cousins, and I have been hunting in the same group since 1946, when my great grandfather was a forester in Jämtland. (Well, I mean that group has hunted the same area)

As an anecdote, I don't think 6.5x55 was ever the dominant moose caliber. As I can recall it from 1985 on, most seemed to use .30-06 and there was some usage of 9.3x57 spud guns. And the rifles that have been handed down seem to indicate that too. I guess almost everyone owned a 6.5 at one point, but I don't think of it as the "usual" moose caliber that it's made out to be.

And now, everyone seems to be buying 9.3x62 as the standard moose rifle.

Thoughts?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I think it's popularity & use in many places is more related to it being used by the militaries of several countries making rifles & ammo abundant & relatively cheap. People use what they can get & afford, so consequently moose were shot with the Swede & that analogy is used to justify it's use. The 6.5x55 has been used to kill elephants, but I don't see a hardy recommendation that others do so. Handloaded with quality bullets @ top velocities it is just as effective as a 270, 30-06, or similar class cartridges & is one of the all time classic cartridges for an all around sporting rifle. There is a similar saying here in the US, "More deer have been shot with a 30-30 than any other round", but I think most would agree there are much better choices to hunt deer with. 60 years ago we were a lever action hunting community. Now we are becoming an AR platform hunting community. Things never stay the same & calibers & rifles also change over time.

bjorn240 likes this.
  3. bjorn240

bjorn240 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Are there better choices than a 30-30 to hunt deer with? Here in NY, most of my shots are in the woods at about 35-60 meters. I actually think a .30-30 lever-action carbine might work great for me. They're cheeeeeap, too!

Funny story - one of my hunting buddies here in NY hunts with a Browning Lever Action in .308. When I first saw it, I told him, "You know, before I came to the US, I'd only seen lever-action rifles in cowboy movies." He said, "That's why I bought it -John Wayne's gun!"

I agree with you about ubiquity being why people have hunted and continue to hunt with those rounds. I just wonder if 6.5x55 was ever as prevalent a moose round as the Internet makes it out to be. I think more moose were shot in Sweden using .30-06 than 6.5x55 in the last 100 years, but I may be wrong.

4. d500lnn

d500lnn Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I've had zero exposure to the 6.5x55 for any type of hunting until this year. My best friend bought a Sako 85 in the little black finnlight that eurooptic.com is selling. Anyhow, not only is it incredibly accurate and consistant with any round chambered it seemed ample killing power for deer sized game. I could imagine, with a well placed quality bullet it could easily kill a moose. I know a gentleman from Alaska that only moose hunts with a 25-06 and he had killed some HUGE moose. One shot, One kill in every instance. Shot placement is the name of the game.

The pics of my buddies deer are below. Dead on impact. Didn't even move a muscle!

Attached Files:

5. d500lnn

d500lnn Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    My bad. The deer above was killed with a finnlight in .270 win exactly one week after this deer fell to the 6.5x55. Yes he had a very good season in Georgia!

Attached Files:

6. mrfiberclass

mrfiberclass Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Stockholm
    I grew up in the very far North of Sweden (Norrbotten) and there my old (now dead for decades) used either 6,5x55 and .30-06, with a preference for 6,5x55 because it was cheap. They grew up in the early 1900:s and they were poor, so saving was the name of the game, for anything and everything. I think the cost issue was much more dominant before, and yes a huge number of moose have been shot with 6,5x55. However, I believe everyone agrees that bigger is better - up to the point when it is not possible to shoot accurate enough. And that is where 6,5x55 is a favourite - low recoil and high sectional density providing for necessary penetration, is what still makes it a good hunting caliber for medium to large game. My personal favourite of all calibers is 7x57 which is very similar, but for moose I prefer 9,3x62.