• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Interchange of stocks

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

campcreek

My new 243 Win Finnwolf is performing very well. My problem now is that I am a right handed shooter and the rifle has a left hand stock. The rifle has a FIC Washington DC import stamp under the barrel and a four round magazine and a cheekpiece on the right side. Will any other stock fit this era of rifle, such as the newer stock without the cheekpiece or are my choices more limited. Also are the 243 and 308 stocks interchangeable. Thanks for any help.
Bill

Another 4 shot version may work although you may have to open up the barrel channel as barrel contours did change. The newer 3 shot version would need to be modified also but could be made to work.
Same stock for 243 and 308 caliber isn't important.

Suggest if you find a stock you ask for measurements of the barrel channel and compare it to yours.

Good Luck

Thanks, I'll keep the barrel measurement in mind. I am positive that I will need more than luck to find a replacement stock. I have lots of time so the search is on. Appreciate the help.
Bill

There should be a few LH shooters of Finnwolfs who have RH stocks that would be willing to swap stocks with you. Sako also made an "ambidextrous" stock without a cheekpiece for the Finnwolf.

Bill there are some custom replacement stocks available made by MACON GUNSTOCKS and also Cottage Craft Works if you don't need a actual Sako replacement.

Few issues auction price, buyers 23% premimum, import/export duties, shipping, and FFL charge. So for the expense of bringing it to the US. better off buying an after market. Or waiting to see if one can be found in the US.

Last edited:
I don't think that the stock has been cut. I just think someone took off the plastic one and put a recoil pad on it.

Rocky I believe you are correct and the stock has NOT been cut and it definitely is an older early 4 shot version that uses the coffin style mag like the Winchester 88 style. The stocks are definately scarce.
The good news is the bidding is in Canadian dollars and not US dollars and has the bolt so you would have some important spare parts to keep or re-sell.

If a member does buy it and wanted to get it up and running I could probably help with needed parts, withe the exception of the mag.

Last edited:
Just received and reviewed some additional pictures of the Finnwolf in the Maynards auction. Be aware the stock looks to have been broken and repaired with small dowels and epoxy . See attached pictures. Also missing rear stock swivel/stud parts.

Attachments

• LOT 816  B.JPG
    LOT 816 B.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 9
  • LOT 816  I.JPG
    LOT 816 I.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Just got confirmation from Neil at Maynards after I asked and he has taken a second look at it and stated it had been broken and repaired but not very well.

I called Maynards about that gun. I left a message about information on the rifle and never received an answer back. Didn't know about the broken stock. Not interested now. Going to Tulsa in a couple of months maybe something there.
Bill

Latest posts

Back