Sako Info for L57 .243

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Mark Brisbane, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Mark Brisbane

Mark Brisbane Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hello members,
    I am looking at setting up my late father's L57 .243 (Serial#160!) rifle as a hunting outfit. It is near new as my father only went hunting pigs and 'roos for a couple of seasons before my sister was born in 1966. The rifle probably had less than 100 rounds sent down. I am impressed with the Leupold on my Lithgow LA101 .22 Mag, So i am contemplating a VX-5HD 2-10x42 as a scope, I was wondering if anyone out there has advice on the necessary rings (Leupold) or an alternative. The mounting rails are an unusual design. Delta shaped to avoid recoil slippage. From my post you may ascertain that I am not too familiar with the old Sako's. I have not ventured into a shop to look at the modern variants. When I look online and view rings, there is reference to Weaver and Pic rails. With this unusual shape, what sort of rings should i look at?
    Thanks in advance, and take care everyone.
    Regards, Mark.

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    G’day Mark, and welcome to the forum.
    The original Sako rings would be best suited to your rifle, mediums or highs depending on scope choice.

We’d all like to see some pics of the rifle when you get a chance.

Cheers

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The dovetail shape of the scope bases is typical of Sako. It is an excellent system and works best with original Sako rings, although Leupold does make special rings for it.

The Leupold 2-10X is a superb scope, but big, heavy, and expensive. Also I believe it has a 30mm tube, which rules out use of the Sako rings originally made for the L57. Those only came in 1" and 26mm. If you like Leupolds, a 2.5-8x or 3-9x would do nicely for pigs or roos. Zeiss and Swarovski have also made very high quality 3-9x scopes that would go well with the L57 and fit in original Sako rings.

The only reason I can see for mounting such a large scope is if you are hunting at night. I know there's quite a bit of shooting done with lights in Oz. That's mostly illegal here in the US, but if you're hunting at night you might want the larger objective.

Warne used to make excellent Sako rings. Greg Warne was originally from Australia but I don't know if Warne products are or were distributed there.

Here are the original Sako rings for your rifle, high and medium:
    Original Sako High Rings 1.JPG Original Sako Medium Rings 1.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Amen to Icebear's comments. Not only will a heavy and outsized scope "overpower" your nice, trim L57, its cost will require that you mortgage one of your children. I suggest that you look for a nice used gloss finished scope (unfortunately, almost no one makes a new gloss) which will match the finish of your L57. Any Leupold from 2-7X up to 3.5-10X in the Vari-X or VX series (or even a fixed 4x or 6x) would be a good fit for your rifle and will do everything in a hunting situation that your rifle is capable of. It will also cost you a fraction of what the current generation of mega-scopes cost. Use original 1" Sako ringmouts, or if those are unavailable the Leupold ringmounts also work well and are a bit lighter and trimmer.

5. Mark Brisbane

Mark Brisbane Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Wow, a little overwhelmed with the quick replies and effort. Thank you very much. The rifle was stored without the scope. I came across a rifle scope box that was labelled #70-1392 Bushnell 3x-9x Scopechief II Magnetic Command post. Unfortunately inside was an Imperial 4x32 Scope made in Japan. There was from memory a timber rifle case made for this rifle. I will need to search and find it. Hopefully inside will be the old Bushnell and mounts. My mother (dads ex wife) recently mentioned it was bought from Anthony Hordens in Sydney and they used to shoot pigs out around St George and Chinchilla when on holidays in the late 50's. Obviously back when they used to have fun together. She retold the story of how he was in the passenger side of their little Singer car while she was driving, and at point blank range when he was doing something with the bolt or finger on the trigger, shot his small toe off! Lucky it was not further back otherwise the foot would have been history. Mum stayed with the car as the tyre also took a hit. Dad had to hop 5 kms into town to get first aid and a tow truck! This story put another twist on the old Mother Goose Poem, This little Piggy!! Got blown to kingdom come! :) Will post a photo soon. Take care, stay safe. Mark.
    PS, what is meant by Gloss? are you referring to the paint finish? I will also look at 1" mounts and a suitable scope. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Hippie likes this.
  6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, the exterior finish. Almost all currently produced scopes have a "matte" finish which is a dull black. Most scopes used to have a glossy finish like the bluing on your Sako L57. Matte has apparently become popular due to the myth that the gloss finish will reflect light and "spook" game. B.S. If your barrel, stock, and scope lenses are already glossy then the addition of a glossy scope will make no difference in light reflection. Besides, I've never in a half-century of hunting seen an animal alerted by reflection -- it is movement they see and associate with danger. Reflection occurs naturally (like off of water, snow, ice, or shiny rocks) and without movement means little to a game animal.

Spaher likes this.
  7. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Agree with Stonecreek on scope finish. Little concern on gloss, however if any question consider taking advantage of the sun and wind direction while using the "shadows", meaning if the sun is in front or to the side use vegetation or terrain in front and if behind you, sit in the shadows in front of vegetation or rocks as movement or sound are the revealers. After all, camo clothing did not come into play until post-WWII during which various armies implemented camouflage kit and most historical hunting done in loden green, khaki and/or plaid and finish irrelevant.

8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I think the trend to a matte scope finish has followed the trend in rifles. These days you see an awful lot of rifles with a matte finish and black or dull grey molded stock. A matte-finished, plastic=stocked gun is cheaper to make than a traditional one, and the matte finish also follows the "tacticool" fashion. Less expensive traditional style rifles mostly have satin wood and metal finishes. Only at the higher end of the market do you still see high polish blue and wood. That's a major reason why I hardly ever even consider buying a new, current-production gun. The last brand-new rifle I bought was a special-edition Marlin in .41 Magnum - a traditional-style lever gun with a high-polish blue finish. And now that I think of it, that gun was NOS from like 15-20 years ago. Elegance seems to be out of style, at least in the mass market.

9. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I knew there was a reason I am attracted more to the older guns- I am elegant!! No one ever called me that before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mark Brisbane

Mark Brisbane Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    The threads I have read so far make me laugh! Of course Matt finish is "soup de jour". A hell of a lot easier to make a plain matt finish than trying to produce a high quality gloss finish. Thanks again. And yes fashion dictates what buyers want to purchase. I am contemplating a new rifle/toy as it breaks my heart to open the safe and see spaces vacant on the racks! And as Icebear has mentioned in regards to materials, I am leaning towards a traditional style. Possibly a 85 Hunter in .308 and Left hand. Beautiful timber and blue steel. I now need to track down some old rings for the l57 and find a suitable scope. Take care everyone.

11. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
  12. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Old Rings on e-bay B/T!

13. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Note for those advising Mark on sources - he's in Australia.