Import stamp / Bofors

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by HoosierHunter, Apr 10, 2018.

1. HoosierHunter

HoosierHunter Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hello I am looking for some guidance on a Finnbear L61R in 7mm mag that is serialized in the mid 30k range and has neither a import stamp nor Bofors barrel marking. I am considering purchasing but hoping for some clarification as to why there is not a Bofors marking. Thanks

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The Bofors stamp was stopped "around" 1968. Importer stamps were not required until the Gun Control Act of 1968, which was signed into law by LBJ in October. The act wasn't fully implemented until a few months later. So your gun may have been made & imported between the time the Bofors stamp ended & the importer stamps were implemented. If you click on "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page you can find out exactly when it was made & shipped & to who it was shipped as your serial number falls within the range we have records for. If it is a factory barrel, there isn't a Bofors marking because it was made after that stamping was discontinued. The lack of an import stamp can also mean it was brought back to this country by an individual, usually military that was stationed in Europe. I've not seen a Bofors stamped rifle that also had an importer's stamp.

deergoose likes this.