ID Sako 30.06

Discussion in 'Factory Records Services' started by Victor, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Victor

Victor Member

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    Hi, greetings from South Africa. This is my first post and would appreciate any information regarding my Sako 30.06 serial number AV 568228 i.e Date of manufacture, barrel length, twist, model name and/or any information regarding the model. I suspect this was a mid/late 1980 manufactured unit. Any other information and/or write up would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Victor: Welcome to our forum! Your rifle Model is the AV (A-roman numeral 5). It is the direct descendent of the L61R long action Sako introduced in 1961. The only difference is the AV has a slightly longer rear tang & a shroud over the cocking piece at the rear of the bolt. Sako did not build rifles in sequential order, so without factory records(which we don't have for the AV) or other documentation dating a particular rifle is difficult. We do know that Sako made the stamping change to AV in 1981 in the serial number range very close to your's, so my guess would be early to mid 80's is closer to it's birthday than the late 80's. But with Sako you can never be sure. If it has the waffle recoil pad rather than the solid red pad, it is definitely not late 80's. Barrel length is measured from bolt face to muzzle & yours should be around 600mm. Twist is the standard SAAMI/CIP specification, which I believe for the 30-06 is 1 in 10" or the metric equivalent. You can measure that as well with a tight patch, cleaning rod, measuring tape & a pencil. Post some pictures of it so we can see what configuration it is. They came in standard Sporter, Deluxe, & Mannlicher .

FLT likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    All that Paulson mentions is accurate. A-V's came in several different versions. The earlier stocks were similar to the L61R stocks and had fore ends which were somewhat triangular in shape with the bottom being wider than the top. Later stocks were in what is often referred to as the "Hunter" configuration which had a fore end with a round shape and a palm swell on the RH side. The first ones had the same Sako #4 trigger as the previous A-III and L61R, while the later ones switched to a different trigger which is referred to as the "Tikka" trigger (stocks on rifles with the #4 trigger typically had a single stock crossbolt at the front of the action, while those with the "Tikka" trigger typically had a second crossbolt just behind the magazine). Earlier versions had a 620mm (24.4") barrel, while both the 620mm and the 580mm (22.83") barrel could be found on the later versions. Early ones had a one-piece frame for the bottom metal while the later ones had a two-piece frame.

These "early" and "late" features can be mixed and matched. Both "early" and "late" features can be found on a rifle which might have been produced somewhere in the middle of the run.

paulsonconstruction likes this.