I picked up my first Sako

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by sgtgeorge, Apr 25, 2020.

1. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I picked up my first Sako today. It is a Finnbear chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Got it on consignment for $700.00. From what I've read, it is a 1970's edition with a mint bore, the bolt face does not have a mark on it. It hardly looks like it's been fired. How'd I do?

IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0459.jpg IMG_0464.jpg IMG_0458.jpg IMG_0457.jpg IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0456.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    For that money you did real well if that included the Sako rings and Leo scope. More like a 74 or a little later age. That short barrel Mannlicher will bark in 7MM so wear good hearing protection. I have one just like it in 7MM also. Could be twins. I will say I haven't seen the import mark on the side of the action like yours has. Great pick up.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Outstanding fiddleback figure in that wood! You did great.

4. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    The scope and rings were included. It is a Leupold VX1 4X12X40. I think the scope should be worth at least $300 alone.

5. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Rings are worth $100 plus, VX 1, $200 at least. Do you reload?

6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Great buy Sgt.,

That is one of the prettiest fullstock Sakos that I've ever seen. Congrats! Ditto on the hearing protection and have a fire extinguisher nearby! ;)

7. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Yes. I've never reloaded 7mm Mag, but I reload 30-06, 223 and 7mm Mauser.

gowyo likes this.
  8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Depending on your hunting locale and game preference, I'd see how it does with 160 or 175 gr. Partitions. Maybe the monolithics. This would be for larger game in carbine suitable terrain- willow bound, riparian moose, black forest Elk. If you venture to more open country, the 140 to 150 gr ballistic tips work well for deer sized game and shoot flatter. You'll likely lose 150-250 fps compared to a longer tubed rifle. Keep us posted on how it performs!

9. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    The problem with that 20" barrel and the slower magnum powders is that you end up having a fire breathing dragon. There is so much unburnt powder that you have a muzzle flash that is just short of spectacular. You need to find the faster burning powder that will still give you decent velocities that will burn most of the powder while it is in the barrel. I don't shoot mine that much so I am still playing with it. I did pick up some factory Hornady Custom Lite reduced recoil loads with 139 gr SST bullets that are MOA or a little less that I can put up with. Good luck with your new choice.

sgtgeorge likes this.
  10. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I'm going to test the rifle using Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain factory fodder. That's all the LGS had in supply. I need the brass so it's a wash. Great tip on the faster burning powders though. I will probably reload with a lower weight head for reduced felt recoil for such a small rifle. I'm moving to NC in June. I would like to Hog hunt with this rifle. There are some huge pigs down there and few locals I've spoken with recommend a magnum for putting them down quick.

11. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Well, I just returned from the range. After diddling with the scope, I managed a 5 shot group of about 1 1/4". I usually shoot a little better, but the guy to the right of me was popping off caps from a 458 Win., shaking everyone there and the guy to the left of me was rapid firing his AR shooting an occaisional empty down my shirt. Then I had the wife texting me every 5 minutes, "When you coming home". Overall, I'm impressed. I was shooting that crap Remington Core-Lokt 150 grain pills. I never shoot factory ammo, unless I need brass, so I'm sure my home brew will tighten those groups up a bit.

12. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Nothing like a Sat morning at the range after everyone has been cooped up for over a month. Your muzzle blast should have kept them awake also.

13. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Honestly, it did not seem any louder that the other rifle I was shooting, a 7mm Mauser; but then again, I was behind it.

14. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    A faster powder is definitely the way to go for the magnum in a short barrel. I have a similar Sako carbine in .30-06 and loading with a fast-burning powder made all the difference in the world in noise, muzzle blast, flame, and recoil. As an added bonus, my final load is much more accurate in that rifle than any factory ammo I tried. You would probably also do well to go to a lighter bullet, maybe a 140. You should also think about using an inert filler with the powder. A relatively light charge of fast-burning powder in that huge case could result in erratic burning; using a filler would stabilize the combustion. It just depends on how much of the case is left empty when you measure out the powder.

You got the deal of the week on that rifle. That wood is some of the best I've seen on a standard grade Sako, and if you're getting groups of an inch and a quarter with junk ammo, you've obviously got the potential for a real tack driver. Congratulations.

15. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thank you. I plan to reload with a faster burning powder and a lighter bullet.

16. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    What powder would anyone recommend for a faster burn in this carbine.

17. CVCOBRA1

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
  18. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Next time, shoot it in your living room and the texting should stop...

19. sgtgeorge

sgtgeorge Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Thanks for the info Cvcobra1. LOL about shooting it in the livingroom.