I have an AIII and AV, would like to know more about them

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by stelebar, May 28, 2020.

1. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I have an AV deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag, 22" barrel and a AIII in 375 H&H with a custom muzzle break. both are in great condition. I wondering how rare or unique they are, and approximate value, cant find many other examples like them.

Last edited: May 28, 2020

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Anyone want to handle this?

3. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    im seeing some posts now about not wanting to guess or discuss values. that's no problem.

4. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I looked up serial numbers and the AIII is low in the range and the AV is a little later in the range. I read somewhere that that may not be a true indicator of age within the range for each model. They do both say made in Finland and imported by Stoeger.

5. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    An AIII Deluxe in 7RM with a 20" barrel seems short. You sure it is not a Mannlicher? I have a 7RM with a 20" barrel but it is a L61R Mannlicher. My "Barker" and flamethrower.

6. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    It’s very difficult to be as helpful as we’d like without good detailed quality photos, showing the entire rifles on both sides, including all markings and potential add ons. A serial number for each will help determine an approximate year of manufacture.

Unfortunately, value is extremely subjective and varies on a plethora of factors. Opinions on value may take place depending on a members comfort giving an approximate value. Sometimes there is is serious difference of opinion regarding value. There is probably thousands of years of experience here and most are not out to insult anyone. We are very realistic and honest, but sometimes we are met with folks who show up only wanting a value, then argue and become insulting to members.

We welcome you and will do our best to help you out, please remember we all love Sakos. We all enjoy photos which will help determine exactly what you have, and perhaps opinions regarding an estimate or ball park figure of what we feel is fair value. We all live in different places, so remember, my estimated price is based on my region, along with several other factors. Welcome.

7. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    my bad, typo's and trying to do ANYTHING with 4 boys running around, haha.
    AIII in .375 H&H with Muzzlebreak, barrel 23.25" to start of mb, 25.5" to end of MB
    AV Deluxe (I think) in 7mm Rem Mag, 22" barrel.
    im going to post a few (poor quality) pics in a few mins

8. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    all makes perfect sense, thanks!

9. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    AV

Attached Files:

10. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    aIII

Attached Files:

11. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    AIII

Attached Files:

12. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    AIII 536xxx
    AV 609xxx

13. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome, stelebar. Yes, one is the standard and the other is a Deluxe. The A-III is the successor to the original L61R and mostly only differs by having a shrouded cocking piece to better divert escaping gas in the instance of a case failure. After a short time the A-III was succeeded by the A-V, and the primary difference is that the A-V has a slightly longer rear action tang (although the mounting holes are in the same place.) Later A-V's used a two-piece bottom metal and a different trigger mechanism, but the market doesn't seem to differentiate based on that. Later A-V's also had a "Hunter" stock which used a rounded fore end and a palm swell. Both the A-III and A-V are excellent hunting rifles with a reputation for good accuracy.

Neither the A-III nor the A-V is old enough (circa 1980's) or scarce enough to generate any collector or other special interest, so their value is as practical hunting rifles.

stelebar likes this.
  14. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thanks! That was the info I was looking for. I think my AV is the Hunter version based on your description of the stock.
    Regarding hand loading for these, do Sakos of this era tend to like a hotter load, do they tend to prefer a lighter or heavier bullet?
    I know they are regarded as a very accurate rifle, would Sakos of this era be expected to shoot sub MOA?
    Does Sako/Beretta or Is there an aftermarket company that produces accessories for these? Are there upgraded triggers, etc available? Are there replacement stocks available so the original stock can be removed and protected when using it?

15. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako trigger is about as good as you can find on a hunting rifle. The triggers are adjustable for weight of pull, but if you are not experienced at this then rely no a competent gunsmith to make any adjustments.

A number of makers offer synthetic stocks which will fit. But the factory stocks are made for hunting, so that's what should be done with them. Wood stocks will inevitably get a few nicks or bruises, but if given reasonable care when in use that won't devalue them significantly. Beretta doesn't offer parts or service for rifles which they did not import (or even much support for those which they did). Lots of manufacturers offer excellent choices in scope rings.

In my experience every rifle is a rule unto itself (although I have worked with three .25-06's which all shot the identical load well and even accepted brass fired in the other's chamber.) Work up a load for a Sako as you would any rifle. Their chambers tend to be a little closer to spec, but you'll want to headspace belted magnums off of the shoulder since the belt recess on nearly everyone's chamber is excessively deep.

stelebar likes this.
  16. stelebar

stelebar Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Great, thanks!