I am the newest SAKO neophyte.

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by .500 Nitro Express, Nov 7, 2018.

1. .500 Nitro Express

.500 Nitro Express Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Just picked up a lightly used rifle marked...

SAKO AV 579667 (marked along the receiver opposite bolt side)

SAKO Cal. .375 Mag (marked on barrel only)

Am I correct in assuming this caliber is actually a .375 H&H Magnum?

Any way to verify with factory records? Don’t see AV as an option for the “Factory Records Service”. Is the AV series too new?

Seems to be a very functional weapon, nice trigger pull, quality bolt operation, solid feel.

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Your assumption is most likely correct, a Sako rifle so marked would definitely have left the factory as a .375 H&H. The only issue would be if somebody had reamed it out to .375 Weatherby and not bothered to restamp the chamber. That used to be a popular modification, and I've seen guns that were rechambered and not restamped, but the odds are that you do, indeed, have a factory original Sako in .375 H&H. And even if it's been reamed out, it's safe to fire .375 H&H ammo, which will just fireform to the new contour. Now you need to go find a very large bear...

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes, the A-V came out in the very late 1970's while the Club's factory records stop in the early 1970's. We've never been able to verify whether the factory itself even has records for the A-series era.

It is possible that the U.S. importers kept records of the Sakos they imported, but Garcia is long since out of business, so there would be no records there. Stoeger, who took over about the time the A-series was introduced, is still in business (although no longer the Sako importer), so it is possible that Stoeger has such records. A retailer has to keep its gun sales records indefinitely, but I'm not sure about the requirement for importers, jobbers, or wholesalers.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Your rifle was chambered in 375 H&H when it left the factory. If you suspect that it has been rechambered you can have a chamber cast done to confirm, but it is highly unlikely to have been changed without being so marked. The stamping change from AIII to AV occurred in 1981. AV production ended in 1991 when it was replaced with the L691. Although it is impossible to date a Sako from the serial number alone, I would say yours was made early in the production period. Most likely before 1985, when CNC machining was introduced. Lots of good info here in the Sako Long/Magnum Action section of the forum about your rifle.

5. .500 Nitro Express

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thanks so much for your informative comments. Not really looking for any more bears, as got the .375 for use as Cape Buffalo poison.

6. .500 Nitro Express

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Thank you for the historical account. Nice be in contact with knowledgeable collectors.