I’ve been infected

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Furdown, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    image.jpg image.jpg Well I have caught the disease-Sakoitis! A relative gave me my first Sako now I find myself always looking to buy another one and reading this forum trying to learn about them. Anyway I bought this Sako I had a couple questions on. It is a Garcia stamped heavy barrel 22-250 from 1971. The stock has no forend checkering. Was it removed by previous owner and refinished? Most heavy barrel varmint models I have seen have the wide forend. Did this one have the wide forend removed and hence the no checkering? I don’t figure it came from the factory this way, did it? The pistol grip checkering is very flattened down. Is this a hand rubbed oil finish?
    Thanks

ricksengines likes this.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your HB stock appears to have been reshaped in front and refinished overall. That should have no effect on the way it shoots, however!

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    IMHO, I believe it once had the standard checkered HB fore-stock as you’ve already probably sort of concluded. It looks to me like the stock was slimmed, then re-finished. The checkering in the grip area appears to have been not tapped off, thus filling it in somewhat, with whatever product was used. Again, just an opinion based on the photos you’ve provided.

4. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    Thanks guys appreciate your input. I have worked up some loads and will post a picture of my best group. One other thing is it came with this Lyman scope that has very fine crosshairs with a dot in the middle, which I’m afraid might be hard to see in low light conditions early or late in the day, but otherwise a good scope as far as I can tell and I’m guessing about the same age as the rifle, but the objective bell all but touches the barrel and if you turn it there are some tiny screws on the bell that do touch, so I took the scope off and there is a spot on the barrel where it rubbed the blue off. I’m wondering if I should get some cold blue and dab some on there or leave it alone. image.jpg image.jpg

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    If it was mine I’d go ahead and touch it up with Oxpho (Brownells) cold blue, or whatever you may have. Since it’s bare metal it should cover pretty well. It might not natch exactly, but the scope will hide it anyway. Take care.

To add, those low Sako ringmounts are obviously too low for that objective bell, medium ringmounts would do the trick. I like a dot for a predator rifle in open country, but you’re right, not the best for low light conditions, and probably not the best choice for small targets at long range. I guess it really depends on you and what the main intention is for the rifle.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  6. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    I’ll be dang Sean I had always thought those were mediums, but if you say they are lows then they must be. At any rate while I was suffering from sakoholism I had bought another old sako with sporter barrel that I installed that scope and ring set on and looks to be a nice fit so I’ll probably leave it on the other rifle.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Those look like medium Sako rings to me, too. The lows don't generally work with any scope with an objective bell.

8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your first thought was correct, they are "mediums". The fat barrel of the HB Sako often requires a taller mount than the thinner sporter barrels. That fine old Lyman, as you have found, clears a sporter barrel using "medium" original Sako ringmounts with room to spare.

The "low" original Sako ringmount will usually mount only scopes with no objective bell. I have used the low mounts successfully on some L461 Sakos with the Leupold "Compact" series of scopes which have both ocular and objective bells of reduced size.

9. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    My bad, those are medium.

10. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    The stock is stunning and I like the shape. One thing id like to see on it, if it were more, was the checking re done on the forend in the Sako style.